F250 7.3L vs. F150 5.4L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 7.3L vs. F150 5.4L

I have kinda been browsing for my next truck, unsure of what I want/need. My basic needs are to pull 18ft boat + family to lake, and I use my Explorer for that now, but lets say you can tell it's back there and little slow on hills. X has 220K on it and still runs good, but it's time to start looking.

My options, based on what I've found in price range of 14-15K

02-04 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L (80-100K)

99-01 F250 4x4 SuperCrew 7.3L PSD (150-200K)

I'm sure both would adequately pull 3000# boat.. My thoughts are....

PSD last longer...
PSD better MPG (kinda balances fuel cost)
PSD = Cool Factor

but what about,

tranny
& operating costs (oil, parts)

Figure I would need to replace gasser at around 200-250K, and PSD may last as long as I maintained everything else.....

What do you think makes more sense? Does seem diesel prices are dropping faster than gassers do to rising fuel cost.

Other option is to by fuel saver and use wifes 02 Explorer to pull boat, but it's not really set up to pull, + I hear those trannies have issues..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 7.3 gets 19 mpg, nuff said.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Location: Little Rock Air Force Base,Arkansas and North Augusta,South Carolina
the price of diesel isnt a factor when your getting 4-5 more miles per gallon the math of a 200 mile trip is as followsfor a diesel getting 19mpg and diesel fuel at 4.20 the fuel cost would be $44 for a gasser that gets 15 mpg at 3.80 a gallon the price would be $50, doesnt sound like much here but adds up in the long run. trust me.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, done a little math, MPG seems to speak for itself, although I have read some 7.3L getting as low as 13-14 MPG, and as high as 22 on highway, which may be related to the drivers right foot......

My biggest unknown concern is general operating cost and maintance @ 150+K... Tranny, turbo, diff, suspension ect... I'm sure these deisels will run forever, its the rest of the truck I'm worried about.

My fear is, a gasser with 80K, you might be able to get another 80K trouble free miles, but a diesel with 150+K, I may be doing a tranny rebuild shortly before enjoying the next 150+K miles.....
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
Ya You arent going to be making lots of money when you get the addiction and start modding the truck
Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, I'm afraind of that too... As I would definately want a chip with an economy mode and a 'drag' mode to play with. The ones I have drove, seemingly stock, seem a little sluggish off the line until about 2500RPM, I guess the turbo has to spool up. I did try a little brake torquing to boost RPM before taking off and it did much better....

Then comes the guages and pillar mounts..... bypass oil filter and synthetics.....

Should the truck fit the need to justify purchase (ie. I don't need to pull 5000+#), or can these trucks make any economical sense? Aside from the COOL factor.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I have kinda been browsing for my next truck, unsure of what I want/need. My basic needs are to pull 18ft boat + family to lake, and I use my Explorer for that now, but lets say you can tell it's back there and little slow on hills. X has 220K on it and still runs good, but it's time to start looking.

My options, based on what I've found in price range of 14-15K

02-04 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L (80-100K)

99-01 F250 4x4 SuperCrew 7.3L PSD (150-200K)

I'm sure both would adequately pull 3000# boat.. My thoughts are....

PSD last longer...
PSD better MPG (kinda balances fuel cost)
PSD = Cool Factor

but what about,

tranny
& operating costs (oil, parts)

Figure I would need to replace gasser at around 200-250K, and PSD may last as long as I maintained everything else.....

What do you think makes more sense? Does seem diesel prices are dropping faster than gassers do to rising fuel cost.

Other option is to by fuel saver and use wifes 02 Explorer to pull boat, but it's not really set up to pull, + I hear those trannies have issues..
I have a PSD, and my wife has a F150 w/5.4. I can LITERALLY put her truck on a trailer, and STILL get better mileage than she does with her 5.4.... Luckily she only puts about 7500 miles a year on a vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How does ULSD affect the equation?

I was figuring..

Gas $3.50/16MPG = .22
Diesel $4.00/18MPg = .22

So fuel costs balances out, + I gain much more power, durability and COOLNESS Don't really need diesel, I only tow about 3200# boat but if it works out economically??

+ It seems everyone is dropping diesels, I see the in the lots everywhere, good deals, maybe there not doing the math.. Just did a little value matrix using KBB and NADA

03 F150 4x4 SuperCrew w/ 100K $14070
04 F150 4x4 SuperCrew w/ 100K $17485

00 F250 4x4 Crew Cab w/ 150K $15485
01 F250 4x4 Crew Cab w/ 150K $17070

So it looks like I can buy at the same price and get about same or better $/mile... Figure 100K is alot for gasser, but 150K is nothing for diesel.

but after researching site, how I hear the ULSD is greatly affecting MPG, some are claiming at least a 2-4MPG loss. Maybe thats why people are dumping them.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcarmel View Post
I have a PSD, and my wife has a F150 w/5.4. I can LITERALLY put her truck on a trailer, and STILL get better mileage than she does with her 5.4.... Luckily she only puts about 7500 miles a year on a vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Same here, my wife has a f150 Supercrew 4x4 with a 4.6, really nice truck but we use my truck for trips and especially if I am towing anything. I've towed thru the mountains in East Tennessee with both, mine tows so much better than hers and gets the same or slightly better mpg's than hers does with no trailer behind it. Even in town we break even cost wise, mine gets better mpg but hers is cheaper to fill up.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:15 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

If you are looking for a PSD, check out "itsaleftlanething" 's profile. his is for sale, guages, chip, exhaust, 4" lift, low miles, and more and he only wants 15K for it. Check into him. His truck is really nice! Definately worth looking into vs a car dealer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.