Turbo vs. Heatshield - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Turbo vs. Heatshield

Does anyone know plus or minus temperature is in the area between the heatshielding & the turbine @ anywhere from normal operating temp. to about highway speeds? I've found some aluminum ducting tape from the local hardware store that says it's good for 260deg. I know my exhaust gas runs @ about 500(cruising speed) to about 1150-1250(standing on it). How much heat would the turbine housing generate? I need to know if this tape will help or just melt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

There is some cooling from the time the gases hit your probe to getting to the turbine side, but not enough to use 260 degree tape in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Why would you want to put tape on it?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Wouldn't it turn into a big sticky gooey mess? Then you'll be doing another foil delete mod!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
The Screwy HEUI

It's not duct tape it's ducting tape. It's used for HVAC type stuff. It's like aluminum foil with a really sticky adhesive on the backside. It comes in a role about the width, maybe a little wider than duct tape. It has a paper backing you peel it from and stick it to an area you need protected from a heat source. So it's not actually tape, it's a role of insta-heatshield.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
There is some cooling from the time the gases hit your probe to getting to the turbine side, but not enough to use 260 degree tape in my opinion.
Here's my thing: I've got 2 pyrometers. 1 @ the driver's manifold where I get data from the Six-Gun, & a 2nd @ the Power Elbow behind the turbine housing. Typically, under acceleration with low or high boost, the Power Elbow pyro reads higher temps than the Six-Gun, when the Six-Gun is showing me higher temps @ idle(until cooled). I was worried the heat strips(or "tape" as I've coined it) wouldn't hold up when my Power Elbow pyro is reading about 850-1250deg under WOT. Should the heat strips be ok?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I wouldn't use it. Check out a place like jeggs that has the high temp header tape that should work. Can I ask what your trying to accomplish?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Can I ask what your trying to accomplish?
I've got a rip in the firewall heatshielding, from removing the turbo recently, that exposed the fiberglass "horsehair" material. The "hair" was being smoldered from a combination of the turbine housing temp, & an exhaust leak from the up pipes I had corrected. Although there's no more hot exhaust gasses REALLY burning the hair up, it'll still burn from the turbine housing temp., resulting in that oh-so-lovely toxic-smelling smoke that comes through the defroster vents. I'm trying to find a material that does the same job the heat shielding does, is easy to install, is worry-free, and doesn't cost an arm & leg. This HVAC stripping I found is the only thing I could come up with. It's heat reflective like the heatshielding & seems to have a really good adhesive that installs easy. The role cost $20. I also want to make sure that I've found either a permanant or temporary fix for this. If it's the latter, I need to find out what I actually need.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Couldn't you just put the tape you want to use over the ripped heatshielding on the firewall in a couple of layers to replace the material that was ripped?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Streak
Just get stuff made for the application...

Your turbine housing will exceed 260 degrees under full boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.