Very stupid questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very stupid questions.

First, has anyone heard of putting Kerosene in the diesel tank to help clean the fuel system? I was in school for HVAC a long time ago and the instructor said running kero in a diesel truck was not a bad idea. We were talking about oil furnaces which run on a dirtier version of diesel, #2 oil.
Secondly what are some cheap mods to get a little more power and better fuel economy that I can do for the 6.0 mine is a two owner(I'm the third) and has been taken care of with no mods that I know of. The trip computer says around 2000 hours on the engine. It has 99k on the odometer. It also says average of 11.6mpg which I thought was kinda low. I'm still real new to this forum and there is a ton of info I need to read.
What is the blue spring mod and what does it do? Ok that's all the dumb questions for now. Might be more to come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Kerosene is a lighter fuel oil than diesel #2, it is similar to diesel #1 which is blended with diesel #2 in the winter to drop the gell point of the fuel. Kerosene has worse lubricating properties and less energy (BTUs) per gallon than the heavier (longer hydrocarbon chain) diesel fuel. Other than being a better solvent than diesel I don't see any advantages to running pure kerosene in your truck. I am sure it would run but your fuel economy would TANK.

You know what helps keep a fuel system clean? Regularly serviced fuel filters. The 6.0 has a pretty good fuel filter set up so keep them changed out on a regular basis and don't cheap out on the filters and your fuel system should stay clean.

I wouldn't pay a ton of attention to the lie-o-meter. The fuel economy could be low cause the it is not accurate or the truck was driven around a lot with a load on it or the PO sped like hell. Too many variables. Hand calculate it using the trip odo and that should give you a better picture of what is going on.

Here is a write up on the blue spring...

Installing the blue spring kit in the 6.0

My understanding (keep in mind I am a 7.3 guy for now) is that it is a more reliable fuel pressure regulator spring that keeps the fuel pressure up. This helps provide adequate fuel pressure so your injectors stay happy and healthy.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 AM

Thanks. From my understanding Kero ran hotter and cleaner, bit that is compared to heating oil which is different. My plan was to put 5 gallons or so every other tank to help keep the system cleaner. I saw the blue spring was a fuel pressure regulator from Ford, so now to read that write up to see how hard it is to change. The"lie-o-meter" might be on or might be way off. I know it depends on the way it's driven. Replacing the fuel filters and coolant are two firsts on my to do list. Fuel filters are essential to economy and power, that much I do know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-27-2013, 05:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Personally, I don't think there is any benefit to running untreated kerosene in a 6.0. Your fuel injector o-rings won't appreciate it. Your filters will catch most material junk in the system.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 AM

Well noted! Just keep the fuel filters changed and install the blue spring and I will be set.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 AM

in older non computerized engines, especially if they spent much time idling the kerosene might have helped them burn off excess deposits. modern engines just don't have much issue with in cylinder deposits. generally if a 6.0 has enough junk on the injector tips to have a negative effect on spray pattern there is an issue that has to be corrected. all the magic juice in the world won't fix that underlying issue. fix that the injectors take care of themselves. fuel pressure gauge asap the spring mod is great but it won't tell you if your filters plug off prematurely. it can run on low fuel with nearly no detectable symptoms, til it cracks a tip and destroys the whole engine
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 AM

I plan on getting a scanner very soon. So far it's between an SCT Livewire and an SCT Livewire lol! I like the back up camera feature and SCT seems to be the right scanner/programmer for the 6.0. Just from reading on here and asking a guy at the local parts store that works at a diesel shop full time.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Ok. Got my truck back today! Since the brakes were sticking the dealership decided to replace the pads. That's it! They smelled hot a little but then went away which is what should happen. Now to sell the bucket seats and console that are like new

Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 PM

The Only stupid question is the one that you do not ask. Tons of good info here on the ORG. Blue Spring upgrade is very simple. no need to buy the $90 kit. just get the one with the spring and the new gaskets. my 2 cents on that. Low fuel pressure is very very bad on our injectors. need a min of 45 psi. this spring will ensure this.

I would not put kerosene in my truck at all!!!!! Injector o-rings will get eaten up eventually. Diesel Kleen is used alot, I personally use the Rev-X fuel treatment and 2 cycle oil in my fuel for extra lubrication and peace of mind. also only use MOTORCRAFT of RACOR filters. everything else is crap and isnt worth the couple of saved dollars. Use a good oil and be sure to keep it changed. Dirty oil will destroy a 6.0 I use Rotella T6 5W-40, its cheap and easy to find for around $20 a gallon.

Get a good monitor. I would do this first before any other MOD!!!!!!!!! Very important to keep an eye on the vitals.

Look at the stickies in the 6.0 General Discussion area. very good info for new 6.0 owners.

any questions, just ask. usually you can get an answer in a few minutes.

Much more info to share but i am tired of typing!!!

Later
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM

also just checked out your profile page and see that you are a vet!!!!

Well THANK YOU sir for your service. People like you are what make this the greatest country in the WORLD!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.