Looking at a 1997 f250 7.3 need some advice. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a 1997 f250 7.3 need some advice.

Alright so I thought about buying a diesel and between myself and you guys I decided diesel is the way to go.

That being said I found a 1997 f250 7.3 I believe I can get a really good deal on.

1997 F250 ext cab auto
Truck has 230K on it.

Good:
Motor seems strong from what I can tell.
Started right up
Little to no blowby, I checked after I drove it about 8 miles and it was plenty warm. A few puffs of smoke but it wasn't like a chimney. As I was told that is fine.
priced right where I want it
Everything seems to work
No white or bad smoke out the exhaust

Bad: (Or possibly bad)
The body isn't new. Doesn't have rust spots because someone wipped out the bondo and patched it and spot painted it. Like I said to the dealer, its not bad work, its not great work, its moderate work. It looks great from a far, looks okay up close.
I think the tranny is slipping. or its the torque converter. And thats fine I can fix it for the right price. Just not sure which is the issue or both.
I did find oil on the back side of the motor. I would say a gasket needs to be replaced. I know I have the term wrong but the pump that pressurizes the oil to be used to run the injectors, I assume that is the gasket that went to crap on it. Can some one confirm if that can be replaced without out pulling the motor?
Dealer didn't take the 20 minutes to properly attach the driver side door panel. I thought that was kind of funny actually. Just means a better price for me
Passenger side door needs upper door pin replaced.
Back to the tranny issue, when I get on it hard it doesn't slip at all, its when I'm doing like 30 or 40 miles per hour.
Had to steer the truck about 1.5 to 2 inch to the left to go straight down the road
Oh and the box had holes for a fifth wheel. Which maybe a good thing since Ill be putting one in anyways.

Finally issue:
When I looked at the carfax (I know those are normally useless but this time it may not be.) It showed its been moved a bit. Like 6 owners, mostly dealers. Which is concerning. Other issue was at 208,000 a wiring harness was replaced. What harness I don't know. Other funny thing, dealer said he had it for 2 or 3 months which the way he said it made me think BS. sure enough carfax showed he registered the title in the dealers name in 10/12. So maybe he was off 5 months or so. The cob webs in the engine bay kind of made me think 2-3 months my ***.

All in all I have seen much worse trucks. I honestly feel fairly confident in the truck for the right price.

The things that worry me is:
Tranny possible slippage.
Steering to the left
Wiring harness replacement
And how long it has sat.

Any ones thoughts and comments? I don't expect a prefect truck but I do want a rock solid or close to rock solid mechanically speaking truck. My doors should shut with out issue or sag. It shouldn't have tranny slip at all. I don't care if it has some rust or patch work. No accidents though. Should be able to get in the truck whether it's 90 out or -20 and it starts every time. In my mind that's not too much to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diesel buying help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.