Coolant tanks and Coolant levels V. 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant tanks and Coolant levels V. 6.4

I recently bought an 08 f250 from a very large Ford dealer. 50k mile truck.

Two days after I got it, noticed the coolant level in the degas tank is about an inch or so below the lower line. This just so happened to be after a 100+ mile drive on the highway. Guy backed it into his shop to work on unrelated stuff. I noticed when he turned it off, a few drops of coolant dripped down right under the front center. Nickel sized. He's a Ford mechanic so he rattled off something about double o-ring new style hoses. He checked it out and says, yes, the upper is the old black style and a few drops came out but it stopped as soon as quickly as it began.

That's when I noticed the level under the line. No big deal on any other vehicle so it didn't cause me to be alarmed.

Drove home, no change in level. I periodically check after turning the truck off over the course of the next week, only once seen a drop on the ground. Nothing more.

Week later(today) I check the level again. Right about the same as I remember. I mark it this time cold. Drove it about 30 miles, level was up but still under the lower line.

Now here's the part where I start reading about horror stories about coolant levels getting below this magic line and the line that enters the tank? I understand the cavitation thing and the need for additive so here's the questions..it's below that all the time.

1..I'm pretty dang sure that coolant was green on the ground. I thought this should be the ford gold stuff?? I look in my tank today and it's not green but kinda clear looking and dark at the bottom of the tank. You can clearly see the level from the outside.

2.. I'm going through some coolant tanks pics on google and see a good clear image of a 2009 6.4 F250. That cold fill line is now well lower on the tank? Did they change something? That line entering the tank is still in the same spot.

Thx for the patience in reading this whole thing and whatever help you guys can give..

Last edited by shore; 07-03-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shore I've got the same exact issue as you do...Ever since I've had it it stays an inch or so below the cold line but I can never find a leak or anything. I've out cardboard underneath the entire front end for weeks at a time to see if it'll drip and nothing, it's as if the engine just drinks it up and makes it disappear. My dealership says it can't find an issue or anything and has no real answer for the disappearing coolant. I'm tuned so i watch my temps really closely but it runs cooler than most of the tuned trucks on here. I've never broken 200 degrees (other than towing but even then it stays relatively cool) even when i get into it so I'm really baffled...Hopefully somebody can shed some light into this because it's concerned me also but it runs like a champ all the time. I also have an '08 with exactly 50k on the odo.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sounds like your EGR is drinking the coolant. If you cant find the leak and you have to keep filling it up, might be the egr cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.