Can anyone recommend a good shop in CT, NY, NJ area? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can anyone recommend a good shop in CT, NY, NJ area?

Just picked up a bone stock 2003 F-550 with a 7.3.

I'd like to have a bunch of routine maintenance tasks done - hoses, alignment. Truck sat for a long while and a lot of the rubber is dry rotted.

Also, an Auxiliary fuel tank (aluminum) has a crack and I was hoping there was a shop someone knows of that can suspend a tank in an inert gas and weld it up. I knew of a place in western PA that did that, but I'm new to this area and don't know if that kind of thing happens around here.

Stamford Ford wants $1400 to change the tank... That ain't happening. Not when there are 2 tanks!

Thanks if anyone can make a suggestion.

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

If your somewhat mechanically inclined why not do it yourself?

Tom
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Tom, that's a perfectly fair question. I'm afraid my answer will sound obnoxious, but the truth is the truth. I get Saturdays off and I race down at Atco. I leave a trailer at the track with all my gear. I live in an apartment in lower CT. No facility here. No garage. And like a lot of people I work 7a - 7p. mon-thurs and 7-5 on fridays... the upshot is, the $ is good... so, I'd rather pay a quality shop to do the work, so I can spend my day off at the track.

Truck has a constant healthy pull to the right, so I reckon a real pro is needed on that move anyway.

The leak in the tank is on me. I'll pull it and either replace it or take it somewhere to repair it, if that is possible.

Thanks, Eric
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I like the tow rig. You travel quite a distance to race, are there no tracks closer to CT? E-Town is closer than Atco. There is a diesel shop in Monroe Township Middlesex County on Federal Road. I personally have not used them or know what services they offer but, I recall posting to another thread that a guy was happy with their work. Extreme Diesel Performance is in Wall Township but I don't think they offer repair services.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Chris!

Yea, Atco runs its NHRA points brackets on Saturdays, which i like. E-town runs on Sundays, which is typically a work day for me. Also, Atco (the track) is a more racer friendly track. I see etown as more of an entertainment venue. There are great racers there, but the facility itself is managed toward a different end, imo.

I leave my trailer and car in Atco... I take the train from Stamford to Phillie, then take the atlantic city line to Atco. Avoid all the traffic and get work done on the trip. then I walk to my storage, pick up my car and head to the track. It's a giant pain in the ***, but I love to race. "knock on wood", I'm in 5th place in the points at this point in the season, with 6 races to go before District Finals, which I'm gunning for.

The Hauler is for next year, when I hope to get my 66 f100 out here to race... this year, i'm just racing a street car to cure my itch.

This truck is a dream machine for me. So happy to have it. I took it to the Stamford Ford dealer and had them go over it. Told them to replace anything rubber that looked as if it was approaching the end of it's lifecycle. They called me a day later and said, "I'd like to charge you to change something, but there's just nothing on this truck that needs changed... hoses, belt, filter, brake lines, brake pads... everything looks great.... Where did you find this thing???"

So, Looks like I'm good for now... With my schedule and on the roads I'm driving, blowing a hose would be a major pain in the freek'n ars...

Thanks again Chris! I'll drop by that shop you mentioned and say hello next time i make it to E-town, which happens from time to time.

Rock on... Eric.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM

That's a heck of commute there. I didn't realize the train was that close to Atco. That is definitely a great way to travel. I can appreciate your feelings on the track differences. I think E-Town makes more $$$ with the mud runs that they have. Its crazy the amount of people that pay to beat the crap out of yourself.

So, where did you find the hauler? I was looking to buy one years ago for my Cobra's. It is amazing the changes that occur from single (do whatever whenever) to family life but I wouldn't make too many changes.. One of these days I will make it to Atco to check it out. Did you ever hear/run Island Dragway? They closed late last year and were in western NJ. If you do go the E-Town let me know I might be there.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, the train let's you off right at the intersection of Rt 73 and Jackson road... about 3 miles from the track. There's a storage place about a mile from the train station. I've been leaving the car there. I just hoof it to the storage.

I found the hauler on eBay. the seller had it listed as an F350. I looked up the VIN and it said F550. I confirmed that and checked on the insurance and then just went for it. Fair price... A price I couldn't pass on. It was in western West Virginia... it was a 10 hour drive...

I'll surely make some races at Etown in September. I'll be sure to look you up if i head down there!

I absolutely love Island Dragway. I raced there last year, my first year living in this area. Made so many friends at that track right off the bat. They are re-opening next Friday night. I'll probably try and go to support them, but not to race, just watch. Saturday is points racing at Atco. I'll be there.

Yea, next weekend is going to be a big deal at Island. If you're not doing anything, it might be worth your time! Here's the link: Island Dragway Online

Next weekend will be a lot of Nostalgia action. Might be fun for the family?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM

I see Island has a diesel truck event July 31st. I will have to take a ride and check it out someday. Next weekend is no good, working both days for fireworks shows. Saturday there is a diesel truck event at E-town. I might be able to stop by for a little while. What was the price to the hauler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.