need some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some advice

First of all i would like to say this is a very nice site. Been reading up a lot on here.

I am looking to get a truck and after looking at what I will be using would like get a diesel truck. I tow a 10k trailer about 10 times a year and did not like towing it with a half ton truck. I always used a friends truck to tow it. Now im looking to get my own. I an looking at getting either a 6.4 or 6.7 used truck.

I see that everyone here is doing the delete but I like to keep my truck stock as much as I can due to DOT here in KY.

Just wanted to see what advice you all may have. Other then towing those loads a few times a year it will be my personal truck/ part time daily driver.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is there any life in this section. posted over a week ago and nothing.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

not sure about either of those trucks but i wonder the samething as why people don't reply.....
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Okay I will bite. part of the reason people dont answer is because if you search about pros and cons of each motor will will find tons of threads regarding this question.

However I will help you out. I have owned 4 diesels now. All fords. First was a 7.3, second a 6.0 which I sold to buy a 6.4 buy got screwed on a deal and ended up back in another 7.3 Now own a 6.4. If you are looking for something to keep STOCK buy a 7.3. They have the least amount of emmisions equipment and run for many more miles because of that.

Here are some key notes

The 7.3 SD years(1999-03) dont come with as many creature comforts as newer vehicles (which can be added if you choose....newer seats, newer suspension, audio, front end etc). They generally have higher miles due to their age, which with the 7.3 isnt really a big deal. As many have been known to run well over 500K miles.

The 6.0 is a great motor but as with any vehicle you buy has its flaws. The early 6.0 had injector problems. Some trucks need studded stock and some run many miles tuned without ever needing them (ie: my 6.0 which was an 05. I ran innovative diesel tuning on the truck for the 30K miles i owned it, and never had any puking. And didnt drive it easy by any means) If your truck does need studded it can get quite costly as it is a cab off procedure. You also want to delete the egr or put a bullet proof one on if you have to deal with emissions. I did this along with a new oil cooler and always watched my ECT/EOT temps. I also dealt with stiction issues with my injectors. However this was easliy fixed by running rotella t5 instead of standard rotella.

The 6.4. Too has it problems. Radiator issues, like the 6.0 they had head bolts that stretch and fail needing a cab off to replace and install head studs. Then there is the dreadded DPF. This along with the EGR system is said to greatly reduce your engine life. The dpf also allows the engine to go into a regen mode to burn off the extra soot that it traps. The engine uses fuel to do this which in turn leads to worse MPG. You however can run tuning which allows for the DPF to be deleted and the egr turned off. This is costly. A good tuner such as H&S and spartan will run you close to $1200.

the 6.7 I cannot report much on as i havent owned one and havent read into them much. From some of the threads I have clicked on I have seen alot of burned up stock turbos for whatever reason. But I will leave that up to you to research now that ive gotten you started.

IMO the 6.4 if you are okay with mods is the best truck ive owned. All of my trucks now have had tuners, intakes, exhaust etc. And my 6.4 although it currently sits at stock height and is a 6 speed manual where my others were autos. It gets the best MPG. Im currently deleted/tuned and yield 18-21MPG depending on my driving. Obviously as it is a newer truck the creature comforts with this truck are amazing but my last 7.3 I swapped in 07 front rear bench seats, and indash with navigation, newer front end, 08 tailgate and was still in to it WAY less than the cost of my 08.

hope this helps and good luck on your purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.