Detroit Diesel 6V/92 Series - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detroit Diesel 6V/92 Series

Hi guys, I don't post much here, but I thought some of you would know about the Detroit 2 strokes. My Father just bought a 82 single axle dumptruck. (Ford L9000) It has this 92 Series 6V Detroit with a 9 speed transmission... I want to earn all I can about the truck as I will probably drive it more than He does.

He bought it to pull His 310 JD Backhoe. He also bought a 15ton Talbot trailer for it. Got the truck and trailer for $9,100, both in GREAT condition. Anyway I have a couple questions...

-What is a safe RPM to run at in High Gear? (55mph is screaming at 1500rpm, 60mph gets to 1800rpm) is that all I can do safely?

-These motors use oil... Is there a "fix" for this?

- Any special maintance or things I should know about common issues?

-Does anyone re-gear the rearend for Highway driving?

I don't mind going slower but I also don't know whats normal for these motors? What are they capable of? It seems like a pretty powerful truck so far... Supposedly the motor was refurbished 40k ago. Truck has 400k+ with no rust. Dumpbox was new in 2000! The truck was a tractor before converted to the Dumptruck.

Thanks Guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd say 60 is about the fastest you can go, and with a load, that's about the fastest you'll want to go in a 30 year old dump truck. How much oil is it using? IMHO, if you want to go faster than 60 while towing a load, you should've gotten something newer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not saying the speed is my issue... I just want to run the motor at a safe RPM. I don't know what they are capable of. Like a 4cyl. boat motor can run at a steady RPM and even though it's near 4000 it will last just fine. Is the Detroit made to run steady at a high rpm?

Speed is definately not my concern... Also, the oil usage isnt even noticable, but Ive just heard that Detroits use oil. So if it's that common someone must have thought of a "fix"... So I'm just asking questions to learn.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
detroit 2 strokes use oil.. and always will any 2 stroke will use "some" oil just by sheer design a 2 stroke removes 2 cycles of the revolution process us four strokes are used to hence the blowby and oil consumption...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.