Trip to dealership ends badly with unauthorized repair - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trip to dealership with 6.4L ends badly with unauthorized repair

I purchased this 2008 F350 6.4l a week ago and I went to the local Ford dealer to have the coolant flushed because the truck has 97,000 miles on it. After I got the truck back last Friday afternoon it was leaving coolant puddles everywhere, so I went back today (Monday). They told me the radiator is now cracked but their flush had nothing to do with it, it was just a coincidence that the leak started the same day.

But here's what has me really pissed off, without permission to conduct any repairs or do anything other than find why my truck is leaking after their flush, they added a bottle or two of stop leak additive to my cooling system. The radiator stopped leaking, but now I have some sort of stop leak crap in my coolant system. They also didn't give me documentation for what they did because my service rep did it without asking me and made it "free of charge". You can bet I'll be getting documentation with another trip to their dealership tomorrow morning, even if I have to scream at them in the middle of the sales floor.

What I'm concerned about now is that this stuff is going to cause problems with the temperamental EGR system, thermostats, water pump, heater core, coolant flow in the heads, etc. My truck is out of warranty so if any, or perhaps all, of these things happen in the coming weeks or months then I'm simply going to be screwed. I've never used a lawyer before, but I'm seriously thinking about finding one right now. Who knows how much this could cost me down the road, up to and including a new engine if a cylinder cracks due to a coolant blockage.

After the service rep told me what they had done and saw my reaction he knew he had just made a big mistake. He tried to cover it by telling me how great this stuff is and how its "not like all of the other junk stop leak stuff on store shelves", he insisted that this was special stuff only sold to dealers. I made him give me the name so I could look it up. It's called "Wynn's Professional Radiator Sealant", and I can't find much information about it.

I now ask, what would you do if this was your truck and they repaired it with stop leak crud without any permission or documentation? These trucks are pretty damn expensive to fix out of warranty and I've seen stop leak additives make a mess out of a motor, so I'm pretty concerned about this. Would you demand payment for future repairs to all related systems, just settle for a free coolant flush and call it good, or would you get more extreme like demand they pay to have the heads removed by an independent shop so the journals can be cleaned and the gaskets replaced? I would simply ask for an extended warranty to cover future repairs, but this truck already has an H&S tuner with a dpf delete and I wouldn't trust them to honor an extended warranty of any kind.

Thanks,
Nate Hahn

2008 F350 Lariat
Supercab with Short bed
H&S Tuner
DPF Delete
2" Lift
35" General Grabbers on 20" rims

Last edited by Mr Hahn; 06-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would get documentation and have a proper coolant flush done and the leak physically repaired, it didnt leak before it went in and started leaking on their watch, so that leads it to be their problem since it happened after they messed with it, but an extended warranty would be a good start as well as a coolant flush to get the crud out
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hahn View Post
They told me the radiator is now cracked but their flush had nothing to do with it, it was just a coincidence that the leak started the same day.

without permission to conduct any repairs or do anything other than find why my truck is leaking after their flush, they added a bottle or two of stop leak additive to my cooling system.
They also didn't give me documentation for what they did because my service rep did it without asking me and made it "free of charge".
The totality of the above statements doesn't add up to me. I sense a hint of fault with a dash of cover up. Since when would a dealership make any type of repair, even unauthorized, and make it "free of charge" if it wasn't their fault? I smell BS.

---Radiator develops leak, noticed shortly after it was in their possession
---You take it back, they basically state crack is new, but not their fault
---They make unauthorized, half ***, "repair"
---Do said "repair" "free of charge"

coincidence? I think not

Kind of looks like an admission of guilt to me. Why wouldn't they want to do the correct/more expensive repair on your dime if it wasn't in fact their fault?

Last edited by 700hauler; 06-20-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.