Light-duty Diesel tech schools - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Light-duty Diesel tech schools

Brief history on myself; I have been a diesel generator mechanic for the past 4 years, I was an automotive mechanic before that for 4 years. I spend most of my free time working on diesel trucks, and some gasers. I'm planing to open a light duty diesel performance and custom fabrication shop in Charlotte N.C. I have been looking into some different diesel tech schools to further my knowledge and to give customers a warm fuzzy feeling about shopping with me when they see a certification on the wall lol. I have read allot of mixed reviews about the different schools. And I am aware that experience is far superior to anything a school can teach you. But I am considering Wyotech's light duty diesel program, would like to hear some thoughts and opinions preferably from others with extensive knowledge in the light duty diesel world or someone that has attended one of the schools. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

TTT
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Honestly schools like Wyo and UTI and are overpriced. UTI is 32-37k for their 45 week (broken up into 3 week classes) diesel program. But it is only for Semi and up. Granted you can take what you learn and apply it to light duty, but there is a lot of extra stuff you wont use. Refrigeration, air brakes, etc. I was going to UTI for that then realized that you need the full 75 week Auto/Diesel program ($40k) to cover more into the consumer area. But to get really into the light duty diesel training you need to pick up Ford FACT (UTI only a crappier version of the ASSET program)

So after totaling that up to 46k and that the FACT program is less training than the ASSET I realized hell no and withdrew. The college has Ford ASSET program here, as a two year AA degree for 6k. You get 14 weeks a semester at a dealer 8 weeks in class/lab. Plus summer and breaks working at the dealer as well.

So imo do the Ford ASSET program at a real college, you will be much happier and less in debt.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I understand that they are overpriced, but fortunately it's not coming out of pocket. So cost doesn't really play a role, I really just want to go to the best school possible for what I'm doing.

I just looked into the ASSET and FACT program and it seems like the ASSET program is more for just Ford vehicles in general. The FACT program I am considering because it would be a Ford certification and it is only 15 weeks, I would like to get more information on the course but I can't find to much. Regardless I would like to attend some sort of light duty diesel program, maybe take the FACT program on top of that.

Thank's for all the information !
Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 AM

A lot of what you learn from Ford, GM, Dodge cross over to each other. I was just using my experience with the FACT/ASSET program as an example as to NOT go to UTI and the like. Not trying to sell ASSET, I realize how it came across. Look at your local college and see what Manufacturer programs they have. Granted it is specific to the maker, but it will still offer better training than what UTI's general program can offer. Trust me
Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's hard to believe their are no good light duty diesel programs, everywhere I read mainly says Wyotech and UTI are a joke. I'm thinking of just going through the Ford FACT program and then similar schools for GM and Dodge. Hopefully they have something that strictly covers their diesel line up, I know allot of it crosses over but I would like to be as educated as possible on each particular lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.