Diesel Schools in Ohio???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Schools in Ohio????

Im 17 years old and graduating highschool in 1 year and I want to go to school right after I graduate. I know of a couple school around me, but the one I want to go to is 2 hour drive to get there. Its UNOH in Lima, Ohio. I really want to go to that school, and I've heard good things about it. Im just trying to get some idea's of some good diesel schools in Ohio! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its a good thing you are thinking responsibly about life at that age.

Id say the best school, is the one you never attended.
If you really wanna learn.......dont take the test........but put yourself to test.

Next year when you re ready to work, hit all the diesel shops in your area telling them you are willing to work as a helper for min wage (even if you gotta clean around the shop for a while).

That way you can learn hands-on (the best way) and maybe soon, earn yourself a spot as a tech. Meantime you will know if thats what you wanna do, while you re making money . You can buy some tools as you go along (dont go crazy on the Snapp-On truck).......and who knows......if you are ambitious, one day you will have your own gig.

You can also look for the big guys around your area (like Cat, Cummings.....) and if you can get in their door, they will pay for your education or certs through their programs.

This way you will be way ahead of the game vs someone who wasted their time until they finished school..........got a job as a "tech" (that requires owning tools).........owes 30 or 40 Grand for getting "schooled"........and dosnt know wtf he is doing..........cause what he learned is different from the motor he s working on.

Wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Do not look at places like UTI. I was attending it for just their diesel program, then decided since I wanted to work on light duty diesels I should do the whole Auto/Diesel program with their version of the ASSET program, the cost, 46-48k!! Not worth it, they are all about the show! They give you vague answers, say "they are not allowed to" or "I cannot say" Took two classes and they were a snore. The adviser that was suppose to be there to help me until I graduate didn't help me once I started, left voice mails tried catching him in the office to get info about the classes, costs and doubling up, but never got anywhere.

Thankfully since I am wanting to get into Ford the community college here has the Ford ASSET Program it is a full two year AAS your certs from Ford and you work for the dealers for half the semester and anytime off of school and it costs around a 10th of what UTI costs.

Stay away from schools like UTI honestly they best way to just go to the shops tell them that you want to get into this and be willing to sweep the floors, be a "go for", parts runner/chaser etc. All the while get a diesel truck and start working on it. I wish I had decided to do auto as a career field instead of just a hobby long before now (Just turned 30) because that is how I would have done it. I have heard good things about UNOH I think it is, if it is the one with their own drag strip so they are good in my book.

Good Luck out there!

Last edited by Jellyroll; 06-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the input guys! And yes, I want to go to UNOH in Lima, Ohio! I know a couple people who went there and said it is great. And if I don't go there, then I'm going to Nashville, Tennessee and go to Diesel School there. I don't want to go to some crappy school with a bunch of dumbasses! And I know a guy who knows alot about diesels and works on them for a living and I'm going to start going out to his house and hes going to teach me alittle hear and there for the next year until I graduate! If I can't go to Lima or Nashville then Im not going! lol Im not wasting my $$$ and my life on a no good school!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.