What should I buy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What should I buy?

Okay, I currently have a 2002 F250 V10, with 275K miles on it and I am looking to get a F250 diesel with 150K miles or less. I have $19,000 to spend on the truck and would like to get something that will not be eating at my wallet with repairs right off of the bat.

I don't need a truck that is lifted or has a lot of special work done to it, since it will be only be a work truck. Decent mileage is key and I'd like it to be a 4x4 since I have been known to get it stuck while working every now and again. It also needs to be a crew cab.

Anyway, I am not sure if I should be looking at the '01 - '04 7.2L or 6.0L or a different year altogether. I have seen a few '06 - '08 trucks that fall into my description/price range, while some people price their '02s like they are made out of gold, so I am not sure what would be considered a good buy for that price range.

So here is the question. If you had $19K & needed a work truck with these restrictions, what would you be looking for?

Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjay View Post
Okay, I currently have a 2002 F250 V10, with 275K miles on it and I am looking to get a F250 diesel with 150K miles or less. I have $19,000 to spend on the truck and would like to get something that will not be eating at my wallet with repairs right off of the bat.

I don't need a truck that is lifted or has a lot of special work done to it, since it will be only be a work truck. Decent mileage is key and I'd like it to be a 4x4 since I have been known to get it stuck while working every now and again. It also needs to be a crew cab.

Anyway, I am not sure if I should be looking at the '01 - '04 7.2L or 6.0L or a different year altogether. I have seen a few '06 - '08 trucks that fall into my description/price range, while some people price their '02s like they are made out of gold, so I am not sure what would be considered a good buy for that price range.

So here is the question. If you had $19K & needed a work truck with these restrictions, what would you be looking for?

Thanks for the help!!
Depends on what body style you like. i would say, look for a 1997 OBS F350 CC 4x4. You should be able to get one for under 12k with good mileage. The engine is tops, the trans is here weak link imo but, if you get lucky and find one that has had the trans replaced, you might be in great shape.
Bonus, you have lots of cash left over for Mods if you choose.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohsp4u View Post
Depends on what body style you like. i would say, look for a 1997 OBS F350 CC 4x4. You should be able to get one for under 12k with good mileage. The engine is tops, the trans is here weak link imo but, if you get lucky and find one that has had the trans replaced, you might be in great shape.
Bonus, you have lots of cash left over for Mods if you choose.
Thank you for the reply Nohsp4u.

I like the '00 & newer style. Plus I don't want to do any mods, upgrades or work to it for a while. I just want it to work. I'm tired of working on my truck, I want it to work for me for a while. I will do the egr delete & cooler if I get the 6.0, but that's all I'm willing to do.

Also, I have $19k for the truck & that's what I want to spend on it.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like your in need of a 7.3, but good luck finding one with low miles. I went 6.0 and got the EGR done immediately at 72k miles.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Through what year model is the egr delete necessary? I see that you have an '06. Does it need to be done on models that late?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

EVERY 6.0 it is almost mandatory. That system is really hard on a lot of engine components. Even the engine coolant benefits from removing that excessive heat exchanger know as the dreaded EGR cooler.

That heat causes the silicates in the gold coolant to gum up causing engine oil cooler damage too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.