F250- Help Me Choose! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250- Help Me Choose!

Hello, I am 16 and I will be purchasing my first truck soon. I need help choosing what year F250 to buy. Luckily, due to my generous parents, I am splitting this purchase with my parents. So I have been looking at used trucks in my area and I have come to the following dilemma. Should I get...

1999 7.3L with around 75k miles
2006 or 07 with a 6.0L and around 150k miles
or a 2008 6.4L also with around 150k miles

I am leaning towards the 2008 because I like the modern updates to it and as I understand the 6.0L is not the greatest choice. I could also go the 7.3L route, but like I said I like the modern updates to the cab and such.

So I wanted some opinions from actual owners, should I go with the 7.3L, 6.4L, or the 6.0L? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you should get an idi
Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Based on the information given, go with the 7.3. Buying the truck is the easy part, fueling and maintaining it is the expensive part. In your options that you listed, the 7.3 has half the mileage and is historically the least problematic. My advice is also to keep it stock until you are out of school and making your own money. Not trying to be a downer, but gasoline may be a better choice for a new driver. It will be less expensive to purchase, fuel and maintain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

I would say go with a F-150 gas. Cheaper to run and get ins on.
F-250 and F-350 are working trucks.
Doug
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You sound just like me!

My questions from being exactly where you are now:

Do you have job that will support the bills such as insurance/gas/repairs/maintenance?

Why are you interested in a diesel?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would have to say the same thing. I got my 93 F250 7.3 due to the fact that I will be starting farm work. Plus, with you being 16, unless your parents own a large company or something or you work, you will be paying up the wazoo for fuel. But god forbid you have to repair a diesel, now that's a totally different type of monitary investment. Like stated above, go with a simple gasser for now. Get a feel for the automotive world and the problems I brings. Get an older car, or truck, doesn't matter. It doesn't have to look the best but it gets you from point A to point B. You don't have to be "That cool kid" who drives a big ol' diesel. Get something simple before you jump into the realm of that kind of expenses.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I still say an idi, easy to maintain, cheap, easy to repair yourself, only draw back, cost of diesel fuel
Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 PM

IDI,

because when you stuff it in the ditch (which you will, you're 16) it won't be a huge deal...less $$ lost, less $$ against your insurance.

or what I did, drive crap junk cars until you are ready for the responsibility of a high dollar cost and maint. vehicle.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinw View Post
Hello, I am 16 and I will be purchasing my first truck soon. I need help choosing what year F250 to buy. Luckily, due to my generous parents, I am splitting this purchase with my parents. So I have been looking at used trucks in my area and I have come to the following dilemma. Should I get...

1999 7.3L with around 75k miles
2006 or 07 with a 6.0L and around 150k miles
or a 2008 6.4L also with around 150k miles

I am leaning towards the 2008 because I like the modern updates to it and as I understand the 6.0L is not the greatest choice. I could also go the 7.3L route, but like I said I like the modern updates to the cab and such.

So I wanted some opinions from actual owners, should I go with the 7.3L, 6.4L, or the 6.0L? Thanks
When buying your first vehicle you should take many things into consideration. Do you plan to tow/haul much? What do you do for work? How far is your commute? You live in the city or the country? When the truck breaks, who's gonna fix it?

If you work heavy, play hard and insist on diesel I would lean toward an IDI. You can run em dry and on cat pee if you really need to get home (This is just a figure of speech, I DO NOT reccomend adding urine to any vehicle fuel tank) and they're much easier to work on. Sure the body styles are old, and more often ugly, but vintage is cool man. Some fresh parts, a little custom steel work and a paint job and any old truck becomes a work of art.

If you don't already make 40k+ a year and start out in a powerstroke plan on being broke until you are 30-40 years old, trust me. Who will be doing the work on your vehicle? Shop rates are going up daily and good work is increasingly harder to find. Parts on the other hand can be fairly reasonable (depending on the job) if you like to do your own work.

IMO, pick up an IDI for ~1500 and save youself a lifetime of grief.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Wow, we must of scared him off. Didn't mean to. Hope he finds just
what he's looking for.
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.