window tinting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
window tinting?

I'm thinking about tinting my windows and wondering if anyone's done it themselves and if so, how hard is it? Can you tell the difference from a pro job? what percentage looks good? and lastly, side window tinting is illegal and i'm do for inspection in august of 06, is it worth waiting to tint it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2005, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gear Jammer
I got a pro tint job. I got 20% on my door windows and 5% on the back window. I used to have 5% all a way around on my 96 but at night it is hard to see out. I never had a prob. with inspection. I think 5% looks the best but it is hard on the eyes at night. Cops never messed with me. f-250 man had 5% and got pulled over and the cop gave him a razor blade and made him take it off right on the side of the road. So i geuss it depends on the cop. He had 5% all a way around i think not sure. Am sure he will be by to put his 2censt in.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah cop sopposedly this is what i heard is that tint is a secondary violation so they cant pull u over for it unless u get stopped for something else in that case i was pulled for running a light that wasent red yet and he saw the tint and said peel it off now and i wont fine u for it so i was like ok and then 2 days later i got it re tinted again for like 20$ a window bid deal

Last edited by Rodslinger; 11-26-2005 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Let's watch the language please.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry for posting again but if u get ur windows tinted dont do it ur self get it professionly done it will look much better and last alot longer plus most places give u a life time warrenty with the tint to that covers most anything that happens to it except when a cop makes u peel it off lol
Old 11-25-2005, 03:15 AM

its odd when you say 5% is harder to see out of at night, are the levels backwards? i know a guy who got 15 all around, it looks pretty good. also, does anyone know what level factory tinting is? thanks for all the advice
Old 11-25-2005, 11:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I have been thinking about getting mine done soon. But i'm not sure what percentage i'll go to. I previously owned a 95 z71 and had 5% all the way around in it. It was a complete pain to see through at night, but I did eventually get used to it. It looked so good though that I want to do it again, but it's going to cost me a lot more since I have a lot more window space to tint! I live in Indiana and I was never pulled over for my tint, but I didn't have it on for too long before I sold the old truck. I do know that if a cop told me to start peeling I would tell him to start...nevermind i'll keep this clean. A friend of mine was pulled over for street racing one night and was given a tint ticket along with 3 others at 150 bucks a piece. However he did get out of it when he decided to challenge the tickets and the cop didn't show up for court. Lucky sob he was! Anyway I would have a shop do it, unless you have prior experience doing it yourself and have gotten good at it.

Last edited by Rodslinger; 11-26-2005 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 AM
LTJDS

Tint

If you do it yourself get a few diff size squeegee's the All rubber kind,(even the handle), trim the film on the out-opposite side from its mounting location. Make sure when trimming it is reversed so when you flip your template it will be sticky on the correct side. Once you have cut the film to size , expose the adhesive and wet the glass with ALOT of water mixed with dish soap, like 1tspn soap per full spray bottle 32oz avg. Apply the film and squeegee out excess water while you can slide it into position. when finished it is normal to have some small air/water bubbles between the film and glass. as long as they are small and you squeeged properly the remaining bubbles will dry out in under 2weeks, closer to under 7 days. USE EXPENSIVE HIGH QUALITY FILM ! Good Luck
Old 02-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Window tint is rated by the amount of light it allows through. So 60% tint would allow 60% of the available light to come through, while 5% would only allow 5% of available light to come through. So... the lower the % #, the darker the tint.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:15 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOBB View Post
Window tint is rated by the amount of light it allows through. So 60% tint would allow 60% of the available light to come through, while 5% would only allow 5% of available light to come through. So... the lower the % #, the darker the tint.

Abobb, it is UV rays not light. Starting at 95%-5%. The higher the number the higher amount of UV rays allowed into your vehicle. Lower the number the lower amount of UV rays allowed in.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:27 AM

it pends on your state probably as far as inspection and ticketing..... in Utah, u can spray paint your rear windows black if u wanted but on the front windows u cant have more than 43% and u cant have any on your windshield. I have 15 on my front windows and i got pulled over for that reason only. i got a fix it ticket for that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.