Trading in my 7.3 for any newer diesel, opinions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trading in my 7.3 for any newer diesel, opinions?

Alright guys im looking to upgrade to a newer diesel, possibly as new as a used 2012 about 35K is my limit. im looking for a duramax, cummins, or powerstroke crew cab short box 4x4 2500 or F250. I understand this is a powerstroke forum but i ask you to put your pride aside as I feel like each make has its ups and downs especially with each era of engines.

Powerstroke- my 7.3 is not exactly a powerhouse or good MPG with just a chip/exhaust/intake but it is a rock solid truck with no issues.

Cummins- i know that the cummins has massive power with simple upgrades and have sharp turning radius, but my brothers 07 has problems that scare me like 3 new steering boxes, failed injectors due to bad fuel pump, and a clutch that went out in less than 30K miles. his truck only has 70K now. but i love the power and fuel mileage

Duramax- i love the way that chevys ride and i want an allison but i understand that the older duramaxes were not the best engines. from what i have read is that the new duramaxes are amazing engines and have a lot of power. i am leaning toward a duramax but i dont know if i should get a LML or LMM engine.

Capabilities- I want a daily driver hotrod that is going to be reliable with a chip/intake/exhaust setup. maybe a few minor mods here and there to supplement the truck a little but i dont want to go as far as turbo and injectors. I dont plan on doing too much towing with the truck and if i do i can adjust my driving accordingly. What would be the best choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the 6.4 would deserve your time to look at/check into.
in the truck for sale section right now there are a couple of good 6.4l trucks that would be a good deal for someone.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 PM

IMO reliability is everything when it comes to a truck, which is where the 7.3 wins

you want a hotrod go buy a mustang or something
Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 897.3alltheway! View Post
IMO reliability is everything when it comes to a truck, which is where the 7.3 wins

you want a hotrod go buy a mustang or something
x2

take that 35k budget, do a complete makeover on your 7.3. A complete rebuild with machine work if necessary, drivetrain work, body and chassis refresh. Do all that and she will give you just as many if not more years of reliable service. Take what's left and start a hot rod/muscle car project.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelliousw0n View Post
x2

take that 35k budget, do a complete makeover on your 7.3. A complete rebuild with machine work if necessary, drivetrain work, body and chassis refresh. Do all that and she will give you just as many if not more years of reliable service. Take what's left and start a hot rod/muscle car project.
X3

35K could get you a lot especially if its stuff you can do on your own, but 35K wont get u a hotrod truck thats gonna be reliable
Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelliousw0n View Post
x2

The difference in that $35k is buying a new truck is still worth $35k. Dump 35k in that old truck, and its worth maybe $20k?

Sounds like a bad idea to me IMHO.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
The difference in that $35k is buying a new truck is still worth $35k. Dump 35k in that old truck, and its worth maybe $20k?

Sounds like a bad idea to me IMHO.
$15k in a 7.3 will easily get you 500 reliable HP. See Swamps complete performance engines. Take the other $20k and you can buy early '00's corvette, or at least a nice down payment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
$15k in a 7.3 will easily get you 500 reliable HP. See Swamps complete performance engines. Take the other $20k and you can buy early '00's corvette, or at least a nice down payment.

When you 7.3 guys go to huge injectors like the 250 hybrids I was just looking at on swampsdiesel.com, what kinda MPG you getting?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
When you 7.3 guys go to huge injectors like the 250 hybrids I was just looking at on swampsdiesel.com, what kinda MPG you getting?
My mileage is actually better than stock. Last fill up hand calculated was 16.8. But I just got new tunes from Gearhead and my rig seems to run much smoother. I bet I get another 1-2 MPGs on the next tank.

BTW, bigger injectors doesn't necessarily equate to less MPGs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.