Pros and cons of a diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pros and cons of a diesel

I'm new to this site and I've been reading posts trying to get a good feel for all the different model years and power plants. I thought it was probably time for me to post my scenario and let some of you throw some thoughts back at me.

So I'm a mechanical engineer, weekend mechanic, I have to have something to wrench on or I go nuts... I enjoy the routine maintenance but I'm not a fan of wrenching to stay on the road, I'm to old for that! This would be my first diesel, I've always wanted one but I don't want a lemon... Or a constant project... I will be towing a camper with the truck, after years of tent camping the wife has said we will be buying one... I do have some drives I take that are about 170 miles with light trailer loads, maybe once a month or 2 months. I drive 20 miles one way to work, but I do make some short runs at work... I have an 02 explorer I bought new, I have 163k miles on her and she is extremely dependable and will be my second vehicle.

I really like the 08 interiors and styling but I'm not set on the newer years... I would say my budget is $25k which limits me especially from newer models. I'm not looking to go fast just avoid being snake bit by making an uneducated purchase. I'm a bit of a tech junkie so I love gauges and being able to monitor performance.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on purchasing a stock truck, I don't mind mods but it would be case by case... So 7.3's are reliable, 6.0's scare me but I know there are good ones, I don't know much about the 6.4's or 6.7's.... I've been looking at 99's and newer...

Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

7.3's are your best bet, you could bulletproof a 6.0 or get a 6.4 and delete the emissions, after that I would say they are all pretty reliable. I don't know anything about the 6.7's so I can't help you there

Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM

Any 6.7 made before march 2011 is pretty much guaranteed to have a catastrophic engine failure i.e. dropping a valve. I've even seen reports of early 2012s dropping valves. They are good engines, decent fuel mileage, and a good amount of power for a stock but there has been a decent amount of failures as well. A user by the name of DirtBikePilot posted a report from ford that didnt state that they are guaranteed to fail but if you read between the lines it's obvious. I've had almost 55,000 problem free miles on my truck with a few minor issues but nothing engine or transmission related. I'd say your best bet is to get a 6.0 and bullet proof it or get a 6.4 and do the emissions deletes on it like lutts2011 stated. Or I you can find a 7.3 that you like, you can't go wrong with a 7.3.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

the 7.3 gets the best mileage, easiest to work on, cheaper to work on, more reliable etc.

the downside of the 7.3 trucks is that 3/4 of them are well used and are all at least 10 years old. the ones that are in good condition with lower mileage are usually priced like gold. it's not hard to find an '01 or '02 for $25,000 while '05's with 6.0's are selling for 10 grand or less with lower mileage.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 AM
Premium Member

I found my 7.3 on eBay for $8400. It was rust free. Just has a few dings and dents its a 12 year old truck. But imo you can't go wrong with a 7.3. I no guys with 6.4 and 6.0. They go fast. But are not as reliable as a 7.3. The problem with the 7.3 is. Your buying a 10+ year old truck. Stupid things start going bad. Axle seals. Window motors. Switches or buttons. Little stupid things tho. But the engines are solid.

Sent from my VS930 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Good info for the OP fellas. Like stated above- a 7.3 is easier to work on compared to the 6.0 and 6.4. And the fuel system isn't as picky as the 6.0 and 6.4's. so it just depends if you have the skill to work on a 6.4 if for example you have to do a head gasket job in your shop or replace the bedplate or something that extensive, those are big hard jobs. The 7.3 is reliable and does a damn good job of doin what a diesel is meant to do.

I love my 6.4 though- the modern interior with all the gadgets and creature comforts, and the 585 hp & 1200 ft/lbs of torque-- it's a fvckin race truck that can tow anything and whoop a rich kid in his 350z LOL. And it makes that kind of power by just deleting the emissions equipment, adding a tuner, and a cold air intake (afe stage 2). The 6.4's have a way more stout bottom end compared to the 6.7's, the 6.4 is just a flat out *** kicking beast.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
the 7.3 gets the best mileage, easiest to work on, cheaper to work on, more reliable etc.

the downside of the 7.3 trucks is that 3/4 of them are well used and are all at least 10 years old. the ones that are in good condition with lower mileage are usually priced like gold. it's not hard to find an '01 or '02 for $25,000 while '05's with 6.0's are selling for 10 grand or less with lower mileage.
I doubt your 7.3 gets better MPG then a 6.7 with 3.31's or 3.55's.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

I love my 97 7.3 CC. bought it with 132xxx miles as she sat a lot. Pervious owner replaced a lot of stuff, trans, computer, fuel pump etc but i just replaced the steering linkage, all bad. I have an annoying clicking when i turn, think it is the steering column but, i drive this girl every day at least 10 miles, gets between 15 and 18 MPH and if i fix my leaking fuel hose, will probably get better. LOL Parts are in yards and reasonably priced.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
I doubt your 7.3 gets better MPG then a 6.7 with 3.31's or 3.55's.
I haven't seen a 6.7 in the $25,000 price range yet....

I know the no emissions 7.3 gets much better mileage than the 6.0 and 6.4, i'm not sure about the 6.7 but I doubt that any emissions equipped diesels get mileage worth mentioning.

I know that my 2010 sprinter with a 3.0 bluetec gets the same mileage as my 7.3. the small European diesels used to be in the 50 mpg range on a bad day.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What is the make of that motor? I'd love to stuff one I'd those into my 66 air cooled vw bug! That'd be awesome! Pros and cons of a diesel-imageuploadedbyautoguide1369630446.606121.jpg

My bad.., back on topic!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.