Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP...need opinions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  F450Harley 
#1 ·
Interested in purchasing a 2002 F350 7.3.
It has 114k miles on it and is mechanically sound. Here's the catch...it was involved in hurricane sandy. I know, i know...before you say "don't even bother!" here me out. Spoke to the original claims agent and he was really informative on what happened. He said the original owner claimed that the water line reached the center of the wheel hubs. Drove it around afterwards with no problems. Then the battery started to die so rather then risk any further electric problems opted to have it "salvaged" and get a check. Claims agent confirmed water never enter the cab or touched paint and was "totaled" due to dying battery. New dealer got it inspected and was able to obtain a clear title in the same state (NY)....no title washing. Is this a good buy? Will there be problems down the road because water was up to hubs. Its a pretty good deal at $12,500....but is it really worth it? Drove it around for 30min and all electric works now with new battery and 4x4 modular. Please help

#2 ·
The water was up to the hubs parked or driving? If it was driven through the water I would think twice. If it was parked I would change diff fluids and check wheel bearings/brakes/hubs etc. As far as the title if it was totaled due to the storm I don't understand how it could have a clear title. I bet there is something documented in the carfax report.

#3 ·
Everything out there is worth it..........for the right price.
In this case not for $12,500.
I see those flood vehicles & what they go for, every day.
The dealer got that truck at the auction for no more than $3,000 (I guaranty you that). So after they "inspected it" & changed a few things......say, no more than $500........that makes it $3500. Give them another $500 for obtaining a "rebuilt title" witch only licensed dealers can......they are in it for $4,000.
Add another $2,000 for overhead & profit.........that is $6,000.....YOUR PRICE.
Where did the $12,000 come from....???
They re looking for a Victim (someone with no credit, no cash) and most likely looking to do an "in house financing"........cause no bank will touch that loan.
I know alot of guys will raise their hands & say "Sh!t man....thats me".
Id say, they re better off without a truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.