Trade 6.7 for 6.4?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trade 6.7 for 6.4??

So I know most people upgrade trucks but I recently found out that my 2011 6.7 powerstroke, that i just bought in september 2012, was build within the time specs of the weak heads. So in other words the engine in my truck is a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up. Now that wouldn't be a problem if I had warranty but I got eager and did a dpf delete and a spartan tuner before I found this out. Right now the truck has almost 55,000 miles on it so it shouldn't blow up right away but I'd like to know what you guys think I should do. Keep in mind I'm 21 years old and me and my girlfriend are trying to save up to buy a house so I don't have a lot of spare money for an engine replacement on this truck. I found a 2008 6.4 powerstroke crew cab, short box, xlt 4x4 and its a job 2 or 3 (judging by the longer front valance) with only 38,000 miles at a branch off the dealership I bought my 6.7 from. Should I take a hit on my truck and trade it in, as long as I can lower my monthly payments? Or should I drive the truck till it blows up and then have a lawn ornament for a few months while I scrape money together to replace the engine?? I know the 6.4s have their own problems but a dpf delete, proper tuning, egr and cooler delete and I'd have a fairly reliable truck that's hopefully going to last me till 200,000 or more miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would see how much a extended warranty is on the truck if u can get one for a couple thousand than you will not have to worry about the motor blowing up. Will just have to pay the 85 dollar copay
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 AM

That would be a good option but I voided my warranty with the dpf delete and tuner
Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What's all this talk about voided warranties with a delete and tuner guys? Just keep your stock exhaust and intake, if something happens have it towed to your house, swap the parts back then tow it to the dealer.

Had a 11 6.7 start knocking (was not abused or raced) that had a spartan, down pipe back and a intake. Put it back to stock and took it to the dealer, now it has a new short block under warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM

My dealer knows I'm deleted, they never made mention and actually the service guy said it was bad a** but I never bothered to check if they would still warranty me or not. So I guess it would be a start to see if they'll still warranty me... I'm sure they'll say "it's not up to us to decide, it's up to ford" and as long as they don't have to plug into your trucks obd2 port they won't know your tuned, but as soon as they plug in they see that your truck has been reflashed said amount of times and they have only flashed the vehicle once or twice so boom there goes your warranty weather your dealer says so or not. Or so I understand from all the reading about voided warranty from tuners that I did
Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The dealer I worked at usually only voided the warranty if the customer was an *** about something not being covered due to the parts on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-18-2013, 04:02 PM

When I go pick up my truck from the body shop I'm gonna see if they will warranty me if the engine blows, and if they say yes I will get it in writing and keep the truck but if they say no then I'm definitely going to consider that 6.4 as long as its oasis report comes back clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.