Some help for a young buck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some help for a young buck

Ok gents, im new to the site and wanted some insight from the guys that have gone through this before. Im 19 and looking to get a truck this year. I live in Maryland so the gas price will be going the next couple of years up because of O'MALLEY. SO this go me thinking. I want a truck that gets good MPG ( something over 17 maybe) I like the new f150 ecoboost whoever the price of a used one is still in the 20's. Then I thought about the 7.3 or the 6.0 f250's. I know diesels get better MPG then gassers, however im not familiar with the maintenance of diesels.

The truck will be used as a daily driver. It will see some light towing (jet skies, 18ft boat, and occasionally the 23ft boat), and some landscaping work (cutting branches, movers....)

Would I benefit from a diesel or should I just suck it up and get an ecoboost or a v8 truck.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 01:46 PM

at 19 yrs old what you dont want to do is get into big payments. Try to keep it below 10k As far as diesel trucks are concerned.. They are a lot of fun until it comes time to change the oil. roughly 4 gallons not quarts.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithebrakes View Post
at 19 yrs old what you dont want to do is get into big payments. Try to keep it below 10k As far as diesel trucks are concerned.. They are a lot of fun until it comes time to change the oil. roughly 4 gallons not quarts.

Yeah wasnt even looking for anything over 15k new wouldn't even be a question.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 PM

thats a good thing

I used to be a car salesman for about 5 yrs. I know how much it hurts when you spend lot on a vehicle. I have 1 friend who has one of those ecoboost trucks I know hes been having some problems with it, but Im not sure what it is. I have a 95 7.3 its a great truck 17 to 18 mpg. Its a little slow on the highway it cruises at 65 to 70 just fine
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithebrakes View Post
I used to be a car salesman for about 5 yrs. I know how much it hurts when you spend lot on a vehicle. I have 1 friend who has one of those ecoboost trucks I know hes been having some problems with it, but Im not sure what it is. I have a 95 7.3 its a great truck 17 to 18 mpg. Its a little slow on the highway it cruises at 65 to 70 just fine

Do you think that it would be a better bet to go with a newer 2004 or 2005 6.0? or are the 7.3 more reliable and easier to work on.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 AM

They are both good trucks

There are pros cons to both check common problems threads. Ive had a couple friends that have the 6.0. One guy couldnt afford to change his oil often enough and ended up needing 2 injectors replaced. Those are not so cheap. Another guy wanted a small oil leak fixed. turned out to be the mating surface of the engine block the whole front end had to come apart lucky it was still under warranty. The 7.3 is a nice truck but they have problems too.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

All depends! The 7.3 is no cheap beast to maintain, good oil gets expensive with as much as it takes to change it. I'd say unless you are looking to haul heavy a lot... pay the gas penalty and go with a good gas Ford V8 or V10. Ecoboost is awesome too, but they are rather spendy still. You can get V10's rather cheap, and they are solid trucks! Prepare to get 10-12 MPG but you don't don't pay the cash up front for a diesel. 7.3's are terrific but they are not really fast, and they command a lot of money because contractors and people who haul all day long want them for work trucks still. I would really suggest you stay away from a 6.0! There are good ones out there but it's kind of a gamble and it could lead you into a lot of debt to stay on the road. Why risk it?!
I'm just offering this advice based off of what you said, being young I'd say it's best to keep payments low and save some loot overall.

Good luck!!!

Scott
Old 05-22-2013, 05:16 AM

Another route you might consider is getting a truck with an inline 6. tough reliable cheap to maintain good mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.