$4500 for a hpop? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$4500 for a hpop?

truck was having a hard time starting if it would even start. started reading and doing some testing my self and batteries were dead so thought that was the problem, then i seen bad batteries cause the ficm to fail and it tested at 48 and 47.5 cranking.

didn't know what else to do so i took it to ford, after over a week they said my egr went out causing the hpop, 2 pressure regulators and a fuel rail to go bad.

gets even better, extended warranty covers oil pumps but not high pressure oil pumps.. 2 weeks after buying the truck its been in fords garage for almost 3.

how bad is a hpop to replace my self? and could it be just the stc fitting i can replace and put on my egr delete and be good to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Take your truck and run quickly. They are taking you for a ride. What year truck do you have?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Take your truck and run quickly. They are taking you for a ride. What year truck do you have?
right, I'm picking it up friday, -1200 bucks for diagnosing..

its a 04 I'm guessing a later 04 cause its got the 4pin ficm if that even means anything.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic600 View Post
right, I'm picking it up friday, -1200 bucks for diagnosing..

its a 04 I'm guessing a later 04 cause its got the 4pin ficm if that even means anything.
The 03-04 trucks don't have an STC fitting. How many miles? $1200 to diagnose is insane. I would be throwing a fit.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM

so i need a new pump all together then? i mean it runs just takes forever to start up, then it'll smoke a lot blue, white and black smoke for about a min then its just fine unitll i shut it off.

not to happy went to the dealer i bought it from and i was just pretty much told to leave.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
so i need a new pump all together then? i mean it runs just takes forever to start up, then it'll smoke a lot blue, white and black smoke for about a min then its just fine unitll i shut it off.

not to happy went to the dealer i bought it from and i was just pretty much told to leave.
Doesn't necessarily mean you need a pump. Could be a few things. Let's start off with how many miles it has. How many miles have you put on it since buying? Have you or have you had anyone change the oil and filter? If you did or had it done, was a Motor Craft filter used?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Doesn't necessarily mean you need a pump. Could be a few things. Let's start off with how many miles it has. How many miles have you put on it since buying? Have you or have you had anyone change the oil and filter? If you did or had it done, was a Motor Craft filter used?
changed the oil the day i got it and it was thin, not sure if thats normal but it was real runny. i used a wix i believe, its got 148k miles and i put only 800 miles on it since i had it.

i used the motor craft oil.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Mod Newbie

Your long crank time is due to the oil filter you're using most likely. Buy a stock cap and an OEM oil filter and see if that helps. The smoking issue can be a combination of things. You could have a weak FICM causing some of it. Injector stiction will cause the rough running when first started. You could get some Rev-X and add to the oil which will help that issue. Also, highly recommend switching to a 5w-40 synthetic oil which will hell the injector stiction issue immensely. The black smoke could be from the EGR valve being "coked" up. Should be removed and cleaned or replaced. If you do an EGR delete, leave the valve installed and plugged in to ensure proper cooling fan operation.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Your long crank time is due to the oil filter you're using most likely. Buy a stock cap and an OEM oil filter and see if that helps. The smoking issue can be a combination of things. You could have a weak FICM causing some of it. Injector stiction will cause the rough running when first started. You could get some Rev-X and add to the oil which will help that issue. Also, highly recommend switching to a 5w-40 synthetic oil which will hell the injector stiction issue immensely. The black smoke could be from the EGR valve being "coked" up. Should be removed and cleaned or replaced. If you do an EGR delete, leave the valve installed and plugged in to ensure proper cooling fan operation.
i think ill just go ahead and replace the oil pump now, mainly cause it will be all apart when i get it , only wanna do it once.

rev x will be soon and ill change the oil once i get done probably, i was hoping i had that stc fitting to swap out and fix it

ficm never dropped below 47.5v tested with sct live link and volt meter on the screw
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
i think ill just go ahead and replace the oil pump now, mainly cause it will be all apart when i get it , only wanna do it once.

rev x will be soon and ill change the oil once i get done probably, i was hoping i had that stc fitting to swap out and fix it

ficm never dropped below 47.5v tested with sct live link and volt meter on the screw
That's a lot of money to spend when it's not needed. I'll bet money changing the filter will help the long crank issue. The Wix filters don't allow the oil drain back valve to be depressed fully which means when you shut the truck off all the oil bleeds back out of the oil filter housing. So when you start cranking it, it has to fill the housing up before it builds oil pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.