What would you buy for $15k or less? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What would you buy for $15k or less?

I'm in the market for my first diesel truck and I have set a price limit of $15k. I'm having a hell of a time making a decision and finding exactly what I want. So far I am leaning towards a 6.0L Powerstroke, but I am also considering a 7.3L. Seems like they both have their own pros and cons.

Ideally I'd like to find a 6.0L that has been bulletproofed, or at least has had the oil cooler, egr, etc replaced so I can have some peace of mind. Right now I'm basically looking at 3 trucks.

1. 2004 CC Lariat 4x4 with 169,000 miles. Owned by a diesel mechanic who probably picked it up cheep, and he did the head gaskets, egr, oil cooler, etc. $13,500. However this guy has been really tough to try and coordinate with.

2. 2004 EC XLT 4x4 with 159k miles. Just had head gaskets, ARP head studs, bulletproof egr cooler done, SCT tuner, coolant filtration system and it has a ton of other extras. A little out of my price range though at $16k.

3. 2003 CC XLT 4x4 with 157k miles. All stock, driven by an old man. $10,900.

What would you choose? Or should I go with a 7.3L? I hear the trannys on the 7.3L are a lot weaker though so that scares me. I still haven't driven a 7.3L, but it seem the interior is nicer on the 6.0L and they are more refined and powerful.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Make sure to run a scanner on it to check deltas, ficm voltage, ect.

Also MAKE SURE you don't buy a truck with BLACK ONYX/ VICTOR REINZ head gaskets... They will fail with time. Good luck with your search!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If there all close to the same mileage and the 7.3 is that much cheaper get the 7.3

People litterally have to give their 6.0s away around here, im talking low teens for something with less than 100k miles

7.3 are gold, bro, gold.....
Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
Make sure to run a scanner on it to check deltas, ficm voltage, ect.

Also MAKE SURE you don't buy a truck with BLACK ONYX/ VICTOR REINZ head gaskets... They will fail with time. Good luck with your search!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
What do you mean by "run a scanner"? Is there a way to do this without buying something like an Edge CTS? Can I bring it to a dealer for an inspection? Would they look for this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa77ss View Post
If there all close to the same mileage and the 7.3 is that much cheaper get the 7.3

People litterally have to give their 6.0s away around here, im talking low teens for something with less than 100k miles

7.3 are gold, bro, gold.....
None of the ones I'm looking at right now have the 7.3L actually. What about the trannies on those?

I just feel like there is the potential to get a smoking deal on a 6.0 if you know what to look for due to their terrible resale value.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.