Trying to decide on What to get. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to decide on What to get.

I know there are many threads on here about the 6.0 VS. the 7.3, but im at a crossroads. I am looking to get into my first diesel and I have picked out a few trucks that I like. I am looking at a 02 7.3 reg cab with only 100k on the clock or a couple 6.0 Ext that have between 85k and 100k. the difference in price is 10k and with the 7.3 I would have some money to mod (tune/exhaust/intake) compared with the 6.0 where I wouldn't be able to get a tune/monitor for a little while. There is also the fact that the 02 is an 11 year old truck and the other ones are 4 years newer. Im looking for mainly reliability and longevity. I know the 6.0's are notorious for egr/oil cooler/gasket problems but they make more power and such while the 7.3's are a tough engine that dont have many blaring issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Check out this thread
2000 7.3 or 2006 6.0
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The 7.3 isn't as reliable as what everyone makes them out to be. Take a gander through the 7.3 forum section and count how many you see with problems. They can be reliable yes but they aren't what they are all cracked up to be. Now a 6.0 can be the same way. The key to longevity with the 6.0 is MAINTENANCE and MONITORING. If you can maintain your 6.0 properly and monitor it to watch for possible issues that may arise than you can deal with them before any major damage takes place and starts the snowball effect.

My vote is for the 6.0 but you can see that I am a little biased. I love my 6.0 and wouldn't sell it or trade it for the world.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
The 7.3 isn't as reliable as what everyone makes them out to be. Take a gander through the 7.3 forum section and count how many you see with problems. They can be reliable yes but they aren't what they are all cracked up to be. Now a 6.0 can be the same way. The key to longevity with the 6.0 is MAINTENANCE and MONITORING. If you can maintain your 6.0 properly and monitor it to watch for possible issues that may arise than you can deal with them before any major damage takes place and starts the snowball effect.

My vote is for the 6.0 but you can see that I am a little biased. I love my 6.0 and wouldn't sell it or trade it for the world.
Well of course you will see all problems because nobody posts "Oh hey my truck was running great today just thought you should all know that" To be fair you go to the 6.0 section and you see just as many problems. Its the COST of those problems that is the big factor
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Banned

No Pat. I don't frequent the 7.3 forums, however when I browse this site I go to new posts and a lot of times I see just as many if not more problem threads from the 7.3 guys as 6.0 guys. The cost is a issue that is true. However if you you do your homework and monitor and maintain your 6.0 it will treat you good.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
No Pat. I don't frequent the 7.3 forums, however when I browse this site I go to new posts and a lot of times I see just as many if not more problem threads from the 7.3 guys as 6.0 guys. The cost is a issue that is true. However if you you do your homework and monitor and maintain your 6.0 it will treat you good.
I dont deny that the 6.0 can be a great truck its just kinda a risk vs reward for me at least id rather err on the side of caution with my 7.3 but if you truly bullet proof the 6.0 yes it can be a beast.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
still, not as good as a 7.3 will
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Oh the reliability battle cry of 7.3 owners. You 7.3 guys think they are the most reliable engine on the planet. Lmao. They have plenty of problems. Like I said browse the forums and you will see they aren't all they are chocked up to be.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Oh the reliability battle cry of 7.3 owners. You 7.3 guys think they are the most reliable engine on the planet. Lmao. They have plenty of problems. Like I said browse the forums and you will see they aren't all they are chocked up to be.
considering i own both, and oh they are, OP take the 7.3, you will regret getting a 6.0
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Banned

That's funny because out of the first 100 threads of the new recent posts 11 of them are problems with the 7.3. Hmm that's 11% of the threads from today are problem related to the 7.3. The 6.0 is not a bad engine and will out work a 7.3 any day of the week. It will haul heavier loads, looks better and runs stronger than a 7.3 all day long in stock form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.