ultra low sulfur - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ultra low sulfur

does anyone know how and when they are going to start widespread use of the ultra low sulfur diesel?

I know that the older trucks will run it, but should we always use an additive for lubrication purposes or what?

Hasn't hit here yet, so don't know by first hand experience. Mileage affected like i have heard?

Are they goin to have 2 different pumps? I know, probably not, but what's the deal? haven't heard much about it.

what about running it in farm tractors? Only use off road fuel? what about blending off road fuel with ultra low? Never been stopped for a fuel test, figure i could get away with it for what i do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Jon

It's dumb!

The trucks that can only run on the new stuff are coming out this winter but the government is giving the fuel stations till 2010 to switch over. That means people are going to screw up trucks starting this winter when they don't know the difference. As for older diesels in particular the 7.3's. Take my word on this. Run Cetane boost. The new stuff is very dry. Don't ask me where I heard it just trust me. $6.00 at Ford dealer. I run it and actually picked up 1 mpg.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 PM

how much in a bottle, how much will it treat?

How's it compare to Lucas, diesel Kleen, diesel power? What are your opinions on these?
thanks for the reply? trying to give my dad info for the tractors too.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Jon

Cant say much on tractors yet.

I havent spoke to any friends back home about that yet. But we have it at my dealer for $6.00 a bottle. It treats 125 gallons so thats 4 tanks for me. I havent tried any other brand just because I have it at work. Just as long as it is a Cetane boost.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:40 PM

Thank ya for the info.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
does anyone know how and when they are going to start widespread use of the ultra low sulfur diesel?
As of next year vendors will start carrying ULSD fuel. As I understand it and they are saying that there would be no problem with using either fuel in 6.0 and previous engines. I was told that there might be a slight variation or fluctuation in fuel economy. The ULSD fuel is for the new engines made for in 2007 that are installed with a PDF filter. DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filters. The high sulfur causes premature clogging of the filters in the said test engines.
Quote:
I know that the older trucks will run it, but should we always use an additive for lubrication purposes or what?
Using a Cetane Booster will help gain mpg, but is is not needed for lubrication.
Quote:
Are they goin to have 2 different pumps? I know, probably not, but what's the deal? haven't heard much about it.
Each pump will be labeled with what it contains, by law. Remember the difference between Low Sulfer Diesel and ULTRA low sulfer diesel.
Quote:
what about running it in farm tractors? Only use off road fuel? what about blending off road fuel with ultra low?
Off road diesel is different then Low Sulfer Diesel aka Road Diesel. Their uses should not be mixed. I know there is something about the offroad diesel that is different and on road diesel negatively affects off road diesel equipment.
Quote:
Never been stopped for a fuel test, figure i could get away with it for what i do.
Absolutely NOT! The day you put offroad diesel in your truck and drive it on the road I hope you get caught and tested. If you want to find and alternative fuel, go veggie oil.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:47 PM

Introduction of the new 15ppm diesel into different portions of the diesel fuel supply channel will be managed through staggered compliance dates. For North America, there are currently three S15 (ULSD) implementation timelines.

United States (except California)

This what the EPA says
On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Refinery < 15ppm by June 1, 2006
Terminal < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by October 15, 2006
Off-Road / Locomotive & Marine Fuel < 500ppm by June 1, 2007

California

On-Highway, Off-Road, & Fixed Equipment Diesel Fuel
Terminal < 15ppm by July 15, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Intra-State Locomotive / Marine Harbor Craft Fuel < 15ppm by January 1, 2007

Canada

On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Retail < 22ppm by September 1, 2006
< 15ppm by October 15, 2006
Off-Road / Locomotive & Marine Fuel < 500ppm by June 1, 2007

Note - Canada has no regulatory compliance date for when the terminals must be transitioned to ULSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.