Prepper has question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WVF350MAN
Prepper has question

I am interested in what electronic parts are on my 97 7.3 powerstroke. I am a prepper and want to purchase replacement parts for my truck. It was a 96 F350 EFI gas truck. It was converted to diesel with a 97 7.3 powerstroke. What parts on this engine are electronic? Can they be replaced easily? Any discussion is welcomed. Was looking for a pre-electronic vehicle but couldn't find anything I liked. If North Korea were to shoot a nuke at us and explode it at a high altitude it would produce an EMP. This electronic pulse would disable electronics and is well know to be a real threat. I am not asking you to agree with the premise, I just need to know what would need to be replaced. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The biggest thing would be the PCM and IDM. The 7.3 powerstroke is completely electronic, pre 94 1/2 trucks have a 7.3 that is mechanical. Another option would be swapping in a older 12v Cummins that's mechanical.

Anyways back to your question, PCM is the heart of the electric system, IDM fires the injectors. If you have a auto you will also want a gauge cluster, the transmission must have a good signal from the VSS on the rear axle that is sent to the cluster and converted to sign wave then fed to the PCM. I don't think the VSS would die but it's cheep so get a spare, also get a spare CPS. The CPS is known to fail even without a EMP blast. Beyond that you also have a RABS module for the rear antilock. I would expect it to fry but you can just pull the plug and continue driving without antilock brakes in the rear. I don't think sensors would fry but the throttle is electric so I would get a spare TPS just in case.

Almost forgot locations. The PCM is located behind the emergency break, it's easiest to get to from under the hood as it passes through the firewall. You will have to pull the fender liner down some to get clearence, I would say it's a 1/2 hr job to replace. IDM is really easy, it's located under the hood on the driver side fender and is easy to reach, 10 min job. Cluster is just a few small screws, 20 min. VSS is one bolt on the rear axle, 5 min. TPS is on the throttle peddal, 20 min. RABS is behind the glove box, 15 min. CPS is on the front of the block, not too hard to reach, 20 min.

Last edited by JSchuricht; 04-29-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It won't matter, the spare replacement electrical parts you have will be fried as well as all the ones at the parts store. The initial E1 pulse from an EMP will destroy the sensors and pretty much anything with a circuit trace or fine wire in it.

Best bet is to get a mechanical injected truck with a manual transmission.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 AM

sell it and get a 12v Cummins with an air starter
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 AM

This is weird...
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 AM

Lol @ NK being able to reach us with anything btw
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well if he keeps the spare parts in a led lined safe/bunker the spare electronics should be fine, what are you doing about extra diesel fuel?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Lead would only block the gamma radiation, a Faraday cage would be more practical to protect from fluctuations in voltages. The nuke doesn't have to reach the US either, if detonated at the right altitude the EMP would spread beyond the blast.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
This is weird...
I was thinking the same.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 AM

I would think a pre electronic gasser would be easiest to feed. just because gas is everywhere and diesel is a tad harder to come by. Unless you have a large private stash and or a way to create your own bio diesel.
I could be wrong about that depends on supplies in your area. you would do well to get a hand crank sump for pulling fuel also. again depends on your personal supplies etc.
interesting concept for sure I really cant help you with diesel knowledge as I am pretty new to the super duty experience. but so far as I know you will want an early 70's era vehicle with no computerized crap at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.