F250 Shopping...questions from a newbee - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 Shopping...questions from a newbee

Hello, new here. I owned a 2003 F250 7.3 with 312 miles on it going strong, planned to take it to 500. Front tire blow out totaled the truck and empty horse trailer.

Since then I have been shopping for a new truck, well new to me. I have 2 questions about a truck I test drove today. It is a 2011 F250 Lariat, 6.7L and pretty much loaded. Everything I want. My husband has a hurt knee, so he asked me to look under the truck on the ground for anything. I saw a few drops of oil. . . crawled up under and the oil filter had streaks of oil running down to a large (1") drop about to drop off the bottom of the filter. The truck was cold. We said nothing, drove it, left it running while talking to the sales man then reparked it and I looked again. Honestly I could not tell if there was more oil or the same. I asked the salesman several times if they had just changed the oil. First he told me yes. After several kind of vague remarks, he said of course, we always do. (Thinking maybe they just didn't tighten the oil filter or something).

The truck only had 19K miles so I asked if it was Ford Certified Pre-Owned. I asked this question several times also but his only real answer was we don't do that with Diesels. Really? This dealership is one of the largest I've ever been to. Salesman said they sold 500 vehicles in March. Yes I live in a small town. Can anyone tell me a good reason why they would not do a Certified Pre-Owned on it? He insinuated they do it they just don't add the extra warranty.

Oh one other question. The carfax said the truck was sold to original owner in June of 2010, so the warranty ends June 10, 2013. I was not aware that the new trucks were ever released that early. Maybe just my area? I'm in Florida, but the 2013's did not get here until November. Paperwork said it was purchased in Tampa and lived in Tampa.

We did not purchase. May have been a decent deal, not great, but I was not comfortable with the answers I received.

Question 1, should the oil on the filter be a concern?
Question 2, what would be a good reason not to Cert. Pre-Owned with mileage that low?
Question 3, Were the 2011's on the road in June of 2010? I'm assuming Ford either wanted to get the 6.7 out and on the road or my area just gets our vehicles late.

Really appreciate any information you can give me. I'll check back in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Answer 1- I dont think the oil on the filter would be a big deal.. As you said they may have not tightened it enough, OR it can be coming from somewhere different. then that might be a concern.

Answer 2- That truck should get a certified pre owned warranty, i bought a Used 2008 6.4 diesel with 47,000 miles in august 2010 an it was Certifed! Yours definitely should be with it only having 18,000 miles on it.

Answer 3- I really dont know. lol

Hope this helps!

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.