MPG's, 35's & 4" lift; drop the lift? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG's, 35's & 4" lift; drop the lift?

Alright guys. I'm in the process of finding a shop to remove my lovely 4" lift. I've really been on the fence with this issue lately. and overall it sucks having to make a decision.

4" lift kit pros:
-plenty of tire clearance; no issues with rubbing at all
-A full 4" of up travel on front suspension
-sits perfectly level

lift kit cons:
-Having stacked blocks is kinda crappy & dangerous
-Little bit of hop off the line due to the block(s) height
-MPG burden, how much... not sure 1-2mpg hwy?
-harder to work out of the bed/reach over rails
-Doesn't fit in home garage or parking garages

I guess the only 2 issues I have with going back to F250 stock setup is the Front suspension... it's seems to only have 2" of up travel. Doesn't seem like a whole lot. I'm currently using 2" with the lift kit just driving around. 2nd concern I have with going back to stock is the truck won't sit level; but the F250 only has a 1/2" differnce right? if so, that's not to bad. Better than the 4" rake most stock 1,500's have Diesel prices are going thru the roof (again) and I drive alot. Only real off-roading i'm into now is trails and camping trips. fire roads etc. and I am debating a Full detroit locker for the rear. and at 80mph the MPG's really start hurting. I like to drive 75-80mph on road trips... which puts the MPG's in the 14-15 range or maybe less. Need some realistick logical opinions here... tired of sitting on the fence. My 35x12.50 Procomp Extrem AT's on factory 20's is the largest I want to go. my wheel/tire combo are perfect (for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Your mileage is better than mine. I get 11MPG going 70 down the freeway.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
With my 2.5" leveling kit, I had about 1" of "extra" clearance on the front tires, so I would say that it's 1.5" of rake with 4 wheel drive and coils on the front.

If you are really concerned about mileage, drop your tire size. I would say it has more effect on your mpg than your lift.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 AM

Something else to consider is the next time you buy tires, go for more of a highway tire for less rolling resistance and really pay attention to the weight of the tire. Rotational weight makes a huge difference for handling/braking/acceleration but also in MPG's. It pays to get extra light wheels too.

I haven't compared 35 inch tires by 16 inch wheels versus 35 inch tires by 20 inch wheels but I'm guessing the bigger wheels would make for a lighter package overall? Just a guess, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM

I think a step bigger than OEM but not as large as the 35x12.50 Procomp Xtreme At's would be the BFG At's.. in 285 size. Or somekind of 305 tire.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM

WHy do you have stacked blocks on a 4" lift?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 PM

factory 2" block + 3.5" lift kit block. That's how they lift them unless you buy all new leafs. I see you have an 8" kit, which is Leaf spring option only. I can't believe MANY people run around with 6" lift kits with 5.5" blocks ontop of their 2" OEM block. I see them all over the place. SO yes, On 4" and 6" kits that you opt not to get new Leafs... you run stacked blocks. Which honestly... kinda scares me. but the new leaf option is expensive, but you don't get the OEM overload protection and such. I like the OEM leafs. I've had pretty bad luck with aftermarket leaf springs. Only aftermarket springs that are supposed to be decent are Alcan's. which are big money and custom made.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 02-19-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM

Ive got a full leaf lift on my show truck, with skyjacker springs and Ive had no problems at all with my springs then have 10,000 miles on them
Old 02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I could be wrong, but I have decided that smaller wheels with the same OD tire will weigh less. I am loosing my 18" wheels as soon as I buy my next set of tires. I agree with buying a less aggressive tire too. I plan to drop from 18" wheels and mud tires to 16" wheel and all terrains. I hope to drop a leaf out of each pack to get this thing closer to the road. Previous owner indicated that he got 21 MPG before the lift and tires. I get 12 MPG now.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Biggest factor for mileage is your right foot man. If I were to go 80, I'd be lucky to get 12mpg, right now I'm setting the cruise at 55, and I'm around 20.5 avg so far, and almost half a tank used. (80% highways and I reset the lie-o-meter at every fill up) I agree, going 55 is annoying, but you get used to it when your realize how much $$$ your saving. I was the 80-90mph guy last year, figured out the cost savings of going slower, and I'm now the guy that always pi$$ed me off before. No added cost to get more MPG, just takes a lil longer to get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.