Truck Pulls - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
The Fat Mod

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Pulls

I was thinking about a new topic, how about some of you guys that goto truck pulls (or participate) post some general info for everybody that does not know much about truck pulls. What the bumpers on the front are for, what kind of changes do you do, sled weight, if you change your springs and how, things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In most classes (street) you can't put weights on the front. I think the sled weights 30k.

Take your time when you hook, it's not a race to who can go first. Take your time.

I'd suggest NOT looking at your gauges while pulling lol... the 10 seconds it jumps up over 1250 you'll be ok.

Clamp your rear springs to reduce wheel hop. If you start to hop slow down because that's when you start breaking things.

Make sure you are at the maximum weight allowed... the heavier YOU are the better you'll do.

Get your Hitch height up to the max as well to help pull the weight off the ground so you'll go further.

If you have an auto, let it determine which gear to put it in, don't force it into "2" or "1".
If you have a stick, I'd start out in 2nd and build boost and then slowly slip the clutch.

Careful, once you hook, you're hooked... you'll do it over and over. SOrry for the scattered info but after attending quite a few pulls and talking to alot of guys that doo good I suggest the above statements... There is a guy called Mechxxxx THe x's=#'s... He's AWESOME and sponsored... there's another guy called HOUSExxx and he's also big into the pulls. I'd suggest talking with both of them...
Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
The Fat Mod

Thanks Marty. I was looking for some of that as well as any other general info. I am not pulling any time soon or anything. I have never been to a pull and do not know much about it. I am sure there are some other people here that are in the same boat. Thanks again for the info. And if anyone else has anything to add, then by all means...
Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I think that pullers run in higher gears in manual tranmissions. most "2nd" gears are only worth about 15-20 maybe and you need some good speed to keep fighting along. If the clutch can handle 3rd or 4th I think that'd be a lot more ideal. I think the sled is also closer to 38 or 40k depending on class. I've also seen a lot of guys truck to get an extra inch or two once their truck "done" and it results in parts breaking a lot of the time. Might wanna be quick with the auto at the end of your pull and throw it into neutral to avoid that. Just don't throw it into reverse! If you've got enough power going through the tranny it'll shoot back and hit the sled! It happened to a truck at Scheid's last month.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:55 PM
The Fat Mod

What are the bumpers on the front for...other than bumpers. Do they push with them too?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 PM
International Threat

What do you mean? They don't push the sled down the track. Some have modified bumpers set up to hold extra weights.

The sled was 30k at the last event I went to, but they announced the weight when speaking about the Street Stock group... It was 60k for the Pro-stock class. But hey, that's hay in a barrel... or some other nifty saying.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:06 PM
The Fat Mod

I know they don't PUSH them down the track...Then it would be a sled PUSH. I guess that is extra weight on the front bumper. Kinda looks like a big rubber bump stop, like whats on one side of a loading dock.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 PM
International Threat

Nope, I think what you're talking about is the weight. The farther out, and the more on it the better *to a degree* since it helps keep the back from hoppin, traction on the front tires, and sled up so it doesn't drag the dirt.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 PM
The Fat Mod

OK I'm with ya on that.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Yeah a lot of guys will rig up anything they can to help keep the front end down for traction. Ever watched a Duramax pull? They like to de-crank their torsion bars and sit real low, AND add weight to the front...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.