Warranty Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty Question

Question about extended warranties if you don't mind. Recently purchased my '05 with 11K miles and was asked about an extended warranty. Here, it was offered out to 60K miles bumper to bumper for about 1400.00. I didn't take it, but have about another 3wks to make up my mind. If I did this, they would hear from me everytime it sneezed. I know the motor has 100k of warranty, so this would be a moot point. However, I was wondering about the tranny and front and rear end and other majors. The best I can see, that falls under the 3/36K. Am I wrong about the coverage? And if I'm not, how many of you would recommend the extended?

Thanks in advance....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Warranty

Hey... The trans, front, and rear differential is covered under 5/100 powertrain. Everything else would be base warranty. I'd say go for the extended warranty if you're going to drive the truck hard. It will pay for itself if you smoke your pads, rotors, and ball joints, which tends to happen if you really beat on it. If you're going to take it easy on the truck, put that $1400 into a nice exhaust or chip!

Last edited by carlopro; 11-18-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't think that pads, rotors were covered under any warranty. I thought those fell under the wearable items....
Old 11-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exclamation

:p I just got a 2002 250 7.3 and bought the warraty it cover the tran and engine part beacuse i told that 100,000 was just on the block assembly not part like the water pump and tubro ect.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
Hey Carl correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all emmisions related components (i.e. exhaust catalyst, fuel injection and other EFI related systems) covered for the life of the vehicle? i thought there was a new federal regulation regarding that.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Warranty

Hey... I think I had a brain fart when I said that pads and rotors are covered under ESP, sorry about that. In terms of lifetime warranty on the catalytic converter, I've never heard of that, although it would be nice because they are wicked expensive. Regarding fuel injection related components, those should definently be covered under 5/100. Unfortunatly, even though a failed injection component will cause some nasty emmisions, I can't see any manufacturer covering those pieces for the lifetime of the truck. Jwiger, if you see or hear anything else regarding that, let me know. I'd be interested to learn more about that.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had an ey-opening experience with an extended warranty. It was on a '94 Chevy 3/4T. They had a lot of trouble with the trannys on that truck. Anyway, my tranny went out at 37,000...1000 over the factory warranty...but not to worry. I had the extended warranty. I had a new tranny put in at the dealership and when they called the outfit that did the extended warranty they refused the claim because I had done the service on the vehicle myself. They flat refused to pay. I'll never have on again. I think they are a real money-maker for the dealerships.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Buffman, I've always heard that, but just thought I may not be giving correct thought. I have heard of people that have made out like a bandit on them, but they are few and far between. I'm thinking that I may take your advice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.