Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is this?

753 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cotton 
#1 ·

I've seen them before ussually on 2 of the four wheels and just thought the emblem fell off but now have a close up of it and am baffled. Auto, lock? Hub? cap?

Haven't a clue, some help please?

See less See more
#3 ·
You may be joking but, there never was a Ford emblem in the middle. I guess it is an oxymoron to call it a hub cap rather than a hub collar. You can leave it on Auto for shift on the fly, or manually lock the hubs for snow plowing. (I heard it was easier on everything when you go from drive to reverse)

#5 ·
It allowed me to lock my hubs manualy when I lost vacuum due to a broken line. I think it is kind of a fail safe because of the fact that it takes vacuum to lock the auto hubs

#6 ·

I thought that was just these without the emblem until I saw a close up.
Thanks for the input.

#7 ·
First picture is the stock cap for a pickup with auto locking hubs (mine are exactly like the first picture). It allows you to lock the hubs incase you lose vacuum, like 66stang said. Or, you can get a pickup without the auto hubs, where you are required to manually lock them in before 4x4 will engage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.