What is specific to trucks sold in the North? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is specific to trucks sold in the North?

I've been looking at trucks (350 Duallies 4X4) from Texas, Alabama and Florida and something just popped into my head....what type of heating equipment will these southern trucks be lacking, other than seats/mirrors of course? Do they all have block heaters and if not, can they be installed fairly easy? I wanted to buy a southern truck since they haven't been exposed to any harsh winters but I live in Chicago, so I need it to have the required heating "accessories". All of this info is available in the VIN I'm guessing. Thanks for any help guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Those features are going to be standard equipment on most if not all of the high models (lariat, King Ranch, etc.) unless they were ordered delete for some reason.

I could be wrong, but thats my take.

My 2004 has the heater block & plug, heated mirrors and seats as well.

I also live in Alabama
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM

I think they're fairly similar. My uncle just baught a 250 from florida and brought it back to Ontario. The only heat feature it didnt have was heated mirrors but it was a XLT only so it was likely the model that did it. I'm also buying an excursion from the south and bringing it back. I'd think any diesel would have a block heater. Only smaller 4 bangers and a few sixes I'd question. And I don't think a block heater install is that easy, may be wrong.

One note, when you bring your truck north make sure you've had the/a dealer drain the collant and put 100% anti freeze in, and run through all the winshield washer fluid and put pure stuff in. We thought of the antifreeze part but forgot about the windshield washer fluid and once you lose it in a snow storm life sucks. Especially trying to thaw the line and run the tank dry to put pure stuff in.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Jon

heater

All 7.3's should have the heater and cord, all 6.0s up to '05 I believe should have the heater and cord and the '06 and up if they were delivered to the southern states will have the heater but no cord. You will have to supply the cord.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have only seen one truck that didn't have a block heater that we could fine and it was a truck shipped to AZ. when new. Like everyone has all ready said, just check these things out before you buy. It gets cold down here also, that's why I go to South Texas to get away from the cold. LOL 85 today
Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM

My 2003 came from texas with seat heaters, heated mirrors, and the block heater and cord - my 2005 was bought straight off the hauler in MI and didn't even have the block heater cord.

Things I would be more concerned with - check/replace the coolant before it freezes, it isn't always good to real low temperatures where it doesn't get cold - same goes for the wiper fluid. also they sometimes use heavier weight oils in warmer states than in colder. Also, if you buy during the winter, they sometime blend the fuel different up here in teh winter to help engines run better, and if you have it shipped it may have non-winter blend fuel in it when it arrives, and will run poorly.

We flew down and picked ours up, checked the coolant and oil before we left, fueled up a few times on the way up, and figured out about the washer solvent the hard way

and i maintain that while it isn't 80F year round, it still does not get cold, even in northern texas - despite the fact it was snowing when we arrived to pick ours up
Old 02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

7.3's are available with or without a cold weather package for most superduty years......the cold weather package is the EBPV and block heater cord and fuel heater......

Heated mirrors were always an option and may or may not be on any truck...

6.0's only have the option of the block heater for a cold weather option (also the fuel heater was removed on some later 6.0's.....as no longer being an option)
Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
6.0's only have the option of the block heater for a cold weather option (also the fuel heater was removed on some later 6.0's.....as no longer being an option)
Not sure I understand this statement.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhorse7 View Post
Not sure I understand this statement.
my bad....i meant to say block heater cord....they all have block heaters....

the fuel heater was deleted on some later 6.0's becasue they found it wanst needed.....
Old 02-16-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaF350 View Post
Those features are going to be standard equipment on most if not all of the high models (lariat, King Ranch, etc.) unless they were ordered delete for some reason.

I could be wrong, but thats my take.

My 2004 has the heater block & plug, heated mirrors and seats as well.

I also live in Alabama
Same with my 04, and it's a Texas truck from birth until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.