Herculining my bumpers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Herculining my bumpers

hey, i just picked up a quart of herculiner at pep boys, and im going to do my bumpers with it, i was going to paint them black. but being this is a my trail rig, im going to herculine it for durability. Has anyone ever done this on a SD before. What are some tips for doing this? thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Your going to have to scuff the crap out of those chrome bumpers to get the herculiner to stick. I would suggest trying to trade your bumpers for some factory painted bumpers. May make it easier for you to herculine the bumpers. If not your going to need to sand for a long time to get them good and rough to get the herculiner to adhere real good so it don't chip off. I did a pick up bed one time. Also the more coats the better the outcome. I would suggest you get a couple more quarts. I used two gallons on the truck bed I did. It never chipped or peeled. I took an electic orbital sander with 180 grit sand paper. Prior to coating the bed. After sanding I used a degreaser/cleaner to the whole bed then I began to apply the coating. I put 4 coats of the liner to the bed. It was very durable and I am going to do the same to my CJ'7 tub.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

i want to do this to my rocker panels and wheel well lips. The rhino liner man wants $1200 bucks to spray it on. Ouch!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
duct tape & zip ties

It is all about prep work. The more time you put in to the prep work before appling the coating. The better the coating will look and the longer it will last.

Another product to look at is Lizard Skin. It is a new product out and it is similar to Herculiner. But you can spray it on. It costs more then herculiner. But remember you get what you pay for.

Lizardskin Ceramic Insulation and Sound Control Spray-on Formula

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 02-10-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
I actually have used this stuff in my friends jeep. It didnt have carpet or anything and we just rolled out the whole interior floor. It wasnt bad. prep is key for sure. It needs to be warm out as well. unless you take the bumpers off and bring them into your garage. It doesnt smell too bad either so it wont stink out your whole house. Throw up some pics though when your done
Old 02-10-2008, 03:36 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f250stroke View Post
I actually have used this stuff in my friends jeep. It didnt have carpet or anything and we just rolled out the whole interior floor. It wasnt bad. prep is key for sure. It needs to be warm out as well. unless you take the bumpers off and bring them into your garage. It doesnt smell too bad either so it wont stink out your whole house. Throw up some pics though when your done
That is what I am going to do with my CJ. I am going to use Herculiner or Lizard Skin don't know yet.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f250stroke View Post

hey im from TR too were around are you? ill deff post pics up when shes all done
Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM

the bottom 8" all around my truck was done by the previous owner. i seen a guy last month with a completely coated truck in black with a metalic flake to it. pretty good lookin.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

whats wrong with your bumpers? I have a set of XL bumpers to get rid of, I have used that stuff before on a trailer floor and a truck bed, it didnt stick as well as i had hoped. Just my experince
Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM

i HATE chrome, i need the look of black, but the durability of the herculiner its RUGGED stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.