Smoking the diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Smoking the diesel

I know this question is going to sound pretty dumb to you diesel vets, but since I'm a newbie to this world I have to ask. How do I get my truck to smoke? I used to have backup lights on my old tahoe that could blind tailgaters at night, but now I want to make this big boy cloud the air in that situation . Are there any mods I can do to help this out, or is it really attainable in stock form?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a chip and intake will help you burn less fuel, which will end up in smoke!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't know nuttin....

With a stock truck? Put an oil injector line in just after the exhaust manifold and a botton you can push to operate a tiny pump. good way to get rid of your old used oil.
Otherwise, get some big mods!
I just ordered the quadzilla but I don't think that will make smoke. Gotta go bigger than that i think.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

In order to smoke you will need a chip. In order to put a chip in, and expect to safely smoke, you will need gauges, particularly EGT, and a 4" exhaust. Discussion as to which chip could go on a long time, and ill leave that to the guys with personal experience with them
Old 09-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Well thats no good...I had wanted to use a chip or programmer from the get-go, but from reading on here about having a footprint left over I dont know...We'll see, thanks to the help of some vendors I've learned how to reset the computer to clear a code, but I dont know if I can trust it (got a long time before the warranty is up...75,000 miles or 4 years...). I was hoping that an exhaust could accomplish the same thing.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:50 AM
im fat and ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by teameyecatcher View Post
Well thats no good...I had wanted to use a chip or programmer from the get-go, but from reading on here about having a footprint left over I dont know...We'll see, thanks to the help of some vendors I've learned how to reset the computer to clear a code, but I dont know if I can trust it (got a long time before the warranty is up...75,000 miles or 4 years...). I was hoping that an exhaust could accomplish the same thing.
i dont think just an exhaust will do it, looks like the smoke is gonna have to wait, unless u do like CHerny suggested, which ive never heard of but sounds cool
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello, new to site. Looks like you know the PSD. Would like to ask an opinion. I have a 2000 7.2 f-250. Before chip prgram... smoked alot when stomping on accelerator. Got a Bully Dog and programmed basic +50HP. The extra HP is nice, however, I'm getting tons of smoke and loud dieseling ( sounds like vavles clattering). From reading the forum, it sounds like it should not smoke alot without severe modifications. Is there anything wrong with the engine. Thanks for any info, mIke mcb613@comcast.net
Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump0331 View Post
unless u do like CHerny suggested, which ive never heard of but sounds cool
um, I was kiddin.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike barrett View Post
Hello, new to site. Looks like you know the PSD. Would like to ask an opinion. I have a 2000 7.2 f-250. Before chip prgram... smoked alot when stomping on accelerator. Got a Bully Dog and programmed basic +50HP. The extra HP is nice, however, I'm getting tons of smoke and loud dieseling ( sounds like vavles clattering). From reading the forum, it sounds like it should not smoke alot without severe modifications. Is there anything wrong with the engine. Thanks for any info, mIke mcb613@comcast.net
Welcome to the site Mike!
I'll let someone else address your question.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
International Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
um, I was kiddin.

Chenry might have been kidding, but there is truth in his statement. The military usues a similar setup on their diesel tanks to set up smoke screens. A small amount of diesel is sprayed inside of the HOT exhaust pipe near the motor and it smokes like crazy. A small windshield washer fluid tub, a few lines, a DIY Injection and a pump and you'd be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.