have you seen these yet?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dantry
have you seen these yet??

just wonderin if anyone else has seen these go-kart / new gass saver SMART cars? someone decided to be cute and park next to me when we were at niagra falls. i feel bad for the person who is in that thing when someone rear ends it. its only a two seater and there is only about 6 to 8 inches of space between the back of the seats and the hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
have you seen these yet??-photo0212.jpg   have you seen these yet??-l_7729514d2df2344bd11d8962bc9cf7a0.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 AM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
Good conecpt.. not the safest car to get into a wreck with though!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to firefooll
i saw a video of one with a Crotch rocket motor in it. it looked fun

and it looks like you can put 2 in 1 parking spot
Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Emergency Services

the thought of saving fuel and all would be nice but i would be afraid of getting smashed by someone
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM

looks like it would almost fit in the back of your truck
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I have excessive flatulance!!

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nick
i heard top speed on those things are 85 lol i don't think doin 85 in that little thing would be much fun bouncing all over and crap lol
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Emergency Services

85? that lil thing would just blow apart if you hit something or wrecked at 85. death trap?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 AM

maybe these will change your minds
Smart Car Vs Ferrari

YouTube - Smart with hayabusa engine
Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Emergency Services

thats crazy.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Copied this from the local paper in Bloomington/Normal Illinois from Jan. 30.

NORMAL -- Bill McDaniel has attracted a lot of looks the last couple of days. Well actually, it’s his car that has everybody talking. “If it’s parked somewhere, everybody who walks by smiles,” said McDaniel, manager of leasing at Country Insurance & Financial Services. | Video

McDaniel is smiling, too.

After a nearly yearlong wait, he has the Twin Cities’ first “smart fortwo” car. He picked it up in St. Louis on Monday and spent most of the day Tuesday showing it off to friends and co-workers.

“I think it’s great,” said John Rediger, heating and air conditioning supervisor at Country Insurance. “I think it’s absolutely fantastic. It’s got plenty of room.”

You wouldn’t guess it from the outside. The car, which only measures 8.8 feet long, 5.1 feet tall and 5.1 feet wide, takes up only half a parking space.

“It only looks small from the outside,” McDaniel said. “It’s half of car. It has three cylinders instead of six and weighs 1,700 pounds instead of 3,400.”

That leads to decent gas mileage — 41 miles per gallon on the highway and 33 miles per gallon in town. (It uses premium gasoline.)

“It has an 8-gallon tank, and I had 200 miles on it and still had half of tank of gas,” McDaniel said.

It’s also ecologically friendly.

The smart fortwo, produced in France by smart, a subsidiary of Daimler-Benz AG, is painted with water-soluble paints. The body panels can be recycled, and it has low-exhaust emissions.

The car also is affordable. McDaniel’s Passion coupe, an upscale version of the car, cost less than $15,000. It has alloy wheels, air conditioning, power windows and a plug for an MP3 player.

McDaniel, who admits he’s a car fanatic, has been eyeing the car for several years, hoping one day they would be available in the United States as well as their native Europe. In March, he learned Mercedes was taking reservations for cars to be delivered to the United States.

The down payment was only $99.

“We’re the only ones who have gotten a car without sitting in it,” said co-worker Deni Menken, who owns a Mini Cooper. “We’re the car geeks in the division. We love cars.”

McDaniel got to choose the color — metallic blue (only red, black, blue, yellow, white and silver are available) — and the options.

Then he had to wait. And wait.

“I was getting tired of waiting,” he said.

Finally, in September, he got the chance to go to Chicago and test drive one of the cars. It wasn’t until Friday that he got the word his car was finally ready to be picked up in St. Louis.

While the car can reach a top speed of 90 mph, McDaniel has only had it up to 75 mph on the trip home from St. Louis.

He said it handled well on the road despite the windy conditions.

The car uses every inch of available interior space for storage. There’s storage in each door and inside the tailgate.

The company also maintains there is 12 cubic feet of storage space in the trunk of the car — if you load it up to the ceiling.

The engine is in the trunk under that storage space. The front of the car has the air conditioning condenser and the fluids, such as those for the brakes and window washers.

“It’s really well-engineered and a solid car,” McDaniel said.

And best of all, this one is all his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.