10K what year model to buy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
10K what year model to buy?

If you had 10~14K to spend on a diesel rig & it's main purpose will be used for towing a enclosed 24' toy hauler for travel / vacations weighing in about 6K pounds, what year & motor size truck would you recommend?

I'm wide open...all replies are welcome, I do not currently think that I want or need a 4X4 or a dually truck, but am open to your suggestions... Oh & I'm not looking for something that will win the race to the top of the hill either, just something reliable that will get the job done without bleeding me dry at the pump like my big block gaser surburban used to do...

TIA,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm partial to the OBS crew cab trucks.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Banned

ya I would aim for a 95-2000, With a 7.3 liter. You are probly going to find it is easier to find a dually with lower miles. But with only towing 6k you dont need a dually by any means. Then you have to decide if you want an auto or a manual. Manual will probly give you longer life, because if you find an auto its probly going to have about 100-150 and will need a rebuild before to long. But you can execpt a LONG life out of the 7.3 we just had someone post the other day his hit a million miles, and several other memebers have well over 400 on most of their rigs. Good luck with your search
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
for your price range... a regular cab 99 or 2000 would do you nicely. Add some tranny mods, an economy tune and tow tune and you'll be set...
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
These guys have not steered you wrong. They tell it to you straight.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
for your price range... a regular cab 99 or 2000 would do you nicely. Add some tranny mods, an economy tune and tow tune and you'll be set...
Thats a good point, if you only want a single cab you can probly get a newer one.........but for a tow rig i think i would want the extra room. I would recommend a 7.3 though you will find a nicer rig for the price just because they are an older model. But man are they excellent motors, and get great millage with very little supporting mods. You could easy see at least 20 mpg
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlearning View Post
These guys have not steered you wrong. They tell it to you straight.
I have a 97 F-350 CC DRW,Auto and I would def go with a manual trans.Got 280,000 miles on mine and 3 transmissions.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankme69 View Post
If you had 10~14K to spend on a diesel rig & it's main purpose will be used for towing a enclosed 24' toy hauler for travel / vacations weighing in about 6K pounds, what year & motor size truck would you recommend?

I'm wide open...all replies are welcome, I do not currently think that I want or need a 4X4 or a dually truck, but am open to your suggestions... Oh & I'm not looking for something that will win the race to the top of the hill either, just something reliable that will get the job done without bleeding me dry at the pump like my big block gaser surburban used to do...

TIA,
I just sold my 97 F150 which can easily handle 6k and a lot more. For under ten thousand ponds they are economical and live forever properly maintained. The 4.6L seems to live forever, of more consideration than mileage is the past service history of the vehicle. I much prefer the diesel in the F250 for towing but the fact is a gasser, 4.6L is hard to beat and much more economical than a D. Fuel consumption is less with the D but the initial cost and fuel prices today seem to swing the numbers further in favor of the gasser. 14k you can get a pretty nice low milage F150. Oh, I have towed up to 10k with my F150 4.6L and that was aver the Sierra Nevada mountains and accross the Siskiyous on I-5 many many thimes with never a complaint even if i wasn't going 70mph
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM

Another thing I'm learning is that maintenance and repair on these things IS NOT CHEAP. Read these forums and learn all you can. Everything you learn here is like putting money in your pocket.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkerley View Post
Another thing I'm learning is that maintenance and repair on these things IS NOT CHEAP. Read these forums and learn all you can. Everything you learn here is like putting money in your pocket.
you are of course referring to Diesels. I guess all repairs are expensive today but D's seem to be double what it would be for a gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.