Powerstrke F 250. Motor refuses to start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstrke F 250. Motor refuses to start.

Gentlemen,
I am at wits end here. First Point. I am located in Spain, so access to parts or service advise for a Ford F250 with a Powerstroke unit is limited - to myself!! Second point: I only have a Haynes manual bought from the USA but that does not do a great deal for me - very limited on the 7.3.
Marc will know, This problem started quite a few weeks ago: We were travelling in to town and the engine shut down. Got it going again did our business and then returned home - no problem. Following day got about 100 yards from home and the motor shut down this time would not restart. I admit to not being very "up to date" with common rail injection systems but I did the usual fuel checks as the systems seemed to indicate air in the fuel. Coudnt find anything so going along the same lines I eventually ended up changing every flexible line on the fuel system, had the tank out cleaned and checked that, cleaned and checked the filter housing, changed filters -- Still would not start.
I joined the Powerstroke Forum when searching the net for more info on the /.3 Powerstoke unit!! Posted my problem and received a lot of good replies from members. Marc especially gave a lot of advise. Unfotunately - When I approached the local Ford Dealer Shop Foreman and brought him round to show him the problem - He was last seen heading for the hill screaming about monsters!!!!!! No help from that direction then. Read more of the threads on the forum especially those concerning the Transducer problems encountered on your side of the pond and following further advise from Marc decided to go ahead and change it out. Managed to find a company in the States that would not only sell me the Transducer but would also ship it out to Spain for me. It duly arrived and I have fitted it ------- Motor will still not start.
It feel as though it wants to start when I turn it over and I can smell some exhaust. I have checked as far as I can but I am in uncharted territory as far as this machine goes. About the only other anomoly I found is that I can only get 8.5volts feed to the heater plug, even after buying a new solenoid and fitting it I still have the same feed.
Found another anomoly later this morning when checking Marcs suggestion that I may have a fuse problem:::: In the power distibution console [drivers side bulkhead] there is a row of Relays, and two rows of fuses - one row all Maxi fuses other row mixed Maxi and Mini fuses. On the Maxi only row I have 12.6 volts with ignition on, on the mixed row I have no voltage reading at all!
So gentlemen I request assistance please. At this time I have a beautiful truck, sat in my workshop doing nothing when it should be out there on the road frightening the life out of the local populace!!!!! Can anyone offer any explanation.
I look forward to your replies.
Macat [Dave in Spain]

Last edited by macat; 09-08-2006 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Found a further anomoly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to nylesn
Possible Cam Position Sensor

A common problem with Powerstrokes is a bad or loose cam position sensor. On the 7.3 it is located in a relatively unprotected location under the engine just to the rear of one of the pulleys. Mine was intermittent because one of the retainer clips was missing.
This is usually diagnosed with a tool that can read the error codes such as a Diablo chip programmer.
You can crawl under and see if you can reseat the connector.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

ok

check your voltage at the starter relay.it will be over on the inner fender.if you follow the glow plug relay wire that is hot all the time it leads to this relay.now what kind of voltage are you reading there?now have someone spin the truck over while checking the voltage to see what the drop is while cranking.you need i think it is at least 10 volts i think while cranking or the computer system will not work.i found this out first hand the other day we rebuilt a tranny in a powerstroke van and it was running fine when i pulled it in the shop.i got it all back together and tried to crank the truck and it would not crank for anything!after checking around i found that i had not got a good connection on one of the batteries.it was spinning over fine but would not crank.i fixed the connection and what do you know it cranked right up.i know you said mark was helping you on this and im sure he will have something to add.i have been a tech for years but fairly new to the diesel game,but the more i work on them the more i like working on them!one way or the other between all of us we will get you back going.also is the fuel filter housing filling up good?like if you spin it over for a few seconds and pull the cap off the fuel filter housing is it full?or at least near full.do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?what kind if any parts store do you guys have?and lastly yes their is a ecm fuse that i have read about that will blow and you get a no crank situation but as of right now i dont know where it is.i will look on my truck in the morning.let us know and i will check the board tomm to see if you have any more info.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mustangz/Nylens
Sorry for delay in getting back to you both. This weekend was a public holiday, something akin to your Thanksgiving - everything shut down!! Anyway as I indicated earlier, I changed out the cam sensor above the main crank pulley and fitted a new one. The voltage on the start relay during cranking is steady at 12.2 volts so i do not think that is it. what I cannot fathom out is why I am only getting 8 volts to the heater plug and why I have no voltage on the mixed [Maxi and Mini fuses] row in the distributor box. I do not have a wiring diagram so it is ni on impossible to trace unless I am willing to open up the whole wiring harness - not something I would find entertaining!!
Outcome, I am still looking for any help I can get.
Timed at 14.30 EU Time

Mustangz/Nlysens
Worked on the unit this morning. I now have 12.7 volts all over distribution box. Still unable to ascertain the voltage over the start relay - Still trying to find it!!
Still turns over nicely but she will not start!
TK.
Macat

Last edited by macat; 09-12-2006 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Updated information!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mark may have went over this with you before but have you checked the hpop level?i dont have time to go into detail but if you do a search you will find plenty of info on this or other sites.oil level is full correct.can you get access to a fuel pressure gauge.you really need to check these things.if you have already dissregaurd these statements.i would not worry about the voltage to the glow plug circuit now as it is simple the wire comes straight from the solenoid to the relay so it would almost have to be a wiring problem between the two.i dont know if this would make any diff. but take the connector off of the glow plug relay and check it without it hooked up.it could possibly be a problem with the relay and causing resistance back through that circuit.it is a long shot but try it anyway.get back with me as i will help you anyway i can.see ya and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.