Ford vs Chevy bed bend video, thoughts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford vs Chevy bed bend video, thoughts?

Hey all! Just want to say up front that I am a die-hard Ford fanatic. I'm surprised i'm only just now seeing this video and wanted some of your thoughts on it. Is the test rigged?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 AM

I will leave this one to others, but I would not buy into all that. Just because the frame does not flex on the Chevy does not mean its better, especially in off road situations. Something else will eventually give on the chevy since there is virtually no flex.
Everyone has their own opinions and needs.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Interesting for sure...I can't speak for others but I've had 4000 lbs. of dirt (yes wayyy over capacity I know) in my bed and granted I didn't do any severe offroading but the bed held up fine with no lasting damage done to it. My only guess is that this is due to the age of the super duty platform? I mean the beds haven't changed since 1999 realistically, and the frame has had it's tweaks but no major overhauls that I know of so maybe this explains it? Of course if I remember right there's a frame twist test Ford put out with just the frames themselves that showed the super duty held up better but who knows. Either way I'd still take my Ford over the light duty "HD's" GM offers as I know that in most other areas I feel more comfortable with the abilities my truck has.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM

One answer. Look who's sponsoring the test. That's why any test other than car and driver or Pickuptrucks.com is bs. If Ford's sponsoring a test, Ford will win. Same with Ram and Chebby. Doesn't mean a thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 AM

I personally like the trailer sway test with the big three that's a good one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Ever watch a semi-truck twist when the driver lets the clutch out too quick from a stop light? They tow more than any 1 ton pickup will ever see.

The springs need to be heavy to resist squatting under load. That same spring won't offer a lot of articulation when the truck is empty. So frames are designed to flex "a little". However, these are COMPLETELY different forces than what you would find applied to the frame when towing/hauling (just like the previously mentioned semis).

Another factor that comes into play with articulation is the suspension design. In off-road situations the terrain constantly varies an independent front suspension will suit you better as each wheel works independent and does not affect the other. You clearly see it working on the front ramp. HOWEVER, if you bought a 1 ton diesel truck... your goal is to use said truck for a work horse. A solid front axle will remain stable and reliable when doing tasks in 4wd such as plowing snow. Its all about priorities. If you want a truck to move mountains on and off pavement, the Ford is a good bet. If you want a truck to soak up the lumps and bumps on and off road and articulate over obstacles, get a toyota tacoma.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 PM

no flex = broken parts

this is similar to rubber motor mounts right? no movement cause stuff to break, so some movement/flex is not so bad>?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Banned

gm frames bend too

everyone has seen this one

i have a picture somewhere of a guy with a gmc with a flatdeck trailer where an excavator places a big tree on the trailer. the tounge weight is too much for the truck and the frame bends into a roof shape between the cab and box.

so gm built a frame that won't bend and had to make up for the lack of flexibility with a complicated suspension that is packed with crappy bushings all over the place. drive the gm and ford down a lumpy highway at 100,000miles with all of the original parts and see what does better.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Steve! Stop wasting time posting videos and install that new wheel. Then tell me if Its awesome and i need to go buy one.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

Maybe next saturday? On call for work was busy for me this weekend. If you're in Abby you can come by and help if you want....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.