Help, newbie a little worried - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Help, newbie a little worried

Hello, I am brand new to this sight, I have a 05 F-350 WIth a 6.0 in it that developed a coolant leak last night, not sure where from, but coolant level is sitll normal, just left a puddle, I will get it to the shop on monday. I did a little research online and got on some sights, and have read a lot of bad things about this engine. I love the truck, plenty of power. I only have 8000 miles on it. I have talked in person to several other 6.0 owners and have heard very few complaints, however on some diesel sights they will tell you the 6.0 is the biggest pile of garbage ever to be set in a truck, All Im looking for is the truth, this truck is used for pulling a 28 foot fifth wheel, was broke in properly, changed oil 3 times in 8,000 miles and is babied. I absolutely love the truck but after doing some web surfing tonight, I have become extremely worried that maybe I made a bad choice. I have owned several Ford Trucks, infact I still own another with a v-10, but thought I would give the diesel a try this time, I hope I didnt make a mistake. COME ON GUYS MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Conservative and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndemohead
Hello, I am brand new to this sight, I have a 05 F-350 WIth a 6.0 in it that developed a coolant leak last night, not sure where from, but coolant level is sitll normal, just left a puddle, I will get it to the shop on monday. I did a little research online and got on some sights, and have read a lot of bad things about this engine. I love the truck, plenty of power. I only have 8000 miles on it. I have talked in person to several other 6.0 owners and have heard very few complaints, however on some diesel sights they will tell you the 6.0 is the biggest pile of garbage ever to be set in a truck, All Im looking for is the truth, this truck is used for pulling a 28 foot fifth wheel, was broke in properly, changed oil 3 times in 8,000 miles and is babied. I absolutely love the truck but after doing some web surfing tonight, I have become extremely worried that maybe I made a bad choice. I have owned several Ford Trucks, infact I still own another with a v-10, but thought I would give the diesel a try this time, I hope I didnt make a mistake. COME ON GUYS MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!
So sorry to hear that , can't offer any advise other than.... I almost signed on a 6, but got the phone call right before I did (seconds).... Waiting for them to be proven.... I'll ask my friends (who advised me to get a 7.3 who own 6's) and see what they've encountered. I hope it's an easy fix! Hey but I hear the tranny's are hella better.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Hey bud, well I'm a 7.3 owner but I've got friends all over with 6.0's. The 6.0 is not a bad motor.....but the 7.3 is a solid engine that has a good proven reputation. I have heard many that are happy with their 6.0's, and at the same time it seems just as many have had repeated problems. I have a friend who has an 05 that's been in 6 times in about 4 months, but only one problem was engine related. I had another 6.0 owner at Menards question me about my 7.3 telling me to keep it and he wished he hadn't gotten his 04 6.0 due to many different engine problems and even going so far as mentioning the dreaded word "lemon!" I also had a friend who just sold his 04 after it being in the shop too many times for gaskets and seals, etc. I really think that the 6.0 has a bunch of components that for some wierd reason do not work together to form a good complete engine, or something like that. I'm willing to be that Ford has lost quite a bit of money in labor and parts from so many 6.0's coming in with warranty covered problems. I hate to make you worry more, but i'm simply giving you all I know. Remember, some people have owned their 6.0's trouble free, while others have had nightmares. I can only say stick with what you have and see how it turns out several miles down the road. I'm talking several thousand miles. If you keep having problems i'd dump it and get a 7.3. I wish you good luck!
Old 11-13-2005, 02:46 AM

Hiya mndemohead!

Don't be put off by a small, high profile, vocal minority. Yes the 6.0 has had some growing pains but I guarantee that there is one heck of a lot of happy 6.0 owners out there. People love to squawk. Relax, work out the minor glitches in your truck and thank God every time you start up that you didn't buy a Chevy Duramax!!
Old 11-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm Drowner
Hiya mndemohead!

Don't be put off by a small, high profile, vocal minority. Yes the 6.0 has had some growing pains but I guarantee that there is one heck of a lot of happy 6.0 owners out there. People love to squawk. Relax, work out the minor glitches in your truck and thank God every time you start up that you didn't buy a Chevy Duramax!!

+1

Worm Drowner is right IMHO on this one. I'm the kind of guy who couldn't win a $1 scratch off lotto ticket to save my life - am I all of a sudden just lucky enough to get one of the only 6.0's that rock.......somehow I doubt it.

Last edited by Rodslinger; 11-13-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am in the same boat as mndemohead. I am new here as well and have just bought my first powerstroke. I don't want to hijack a thread but maybe someone could help me with a pm or something. I have a 2000 7.3 that is leaking oil at the bottom of the bell housing (out of the little drain hole). My first thought was -- oh great, a brand new investment that has a rear main going out. Someone the other day said something about o-rings in the turbo leaking that sit directly above. Can anyone explain aboyut this and the fix as well. Thank you in advance.

MCK
Old 11-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndemohead
Hello, I am brand new to this sight, I have a 05 F-350 WIth a 6.0 in it that developed a coolant leak last night...COME ON GUYS MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!
How many of these 6.0 PSD have been sold in the past 2 years? -alot, every engine has issues of some kind, i think the closest engine to perfect is the turbo 2.3 from Ford but that's just me. my dad curses Fords for putting the "stupid distributor right in front of the idle mixture screws" -yeah okay dad

and i curse Chevys for making me bye a goofy distributor wrench that only works on a bowtie distro.

the people that aren't happy are always the loudest. but just how many used 6.0's are you seeing at the dealerships? Right now i have a itty bitty oil leak at the front, it could be nothing, or it could be a front main seal. Either way I'm taking the truck in tomorrow and it's one small part on a engine with thousands of moving parts that happens to be not quite right, this is a result of mass production and is why warranties are made. the second i see a vehicle made with no warranty made, i'll take a picture then standback just in-case it spontaniously combusts.

You made great choices. Welcome to the site mndemohead & mtncntrykid, and welcome to the great community of the awesome PSD family.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:33 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiger

i'll take a picture then standback just in-case it spontaniously combusts.
Wasn't one of these already made......I think it was the Pinto.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to purduefarmboy460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm Drowner
Relax, work out the minor glitches in your truck and thank God every time you start up that you didn't buy a Chevy Duramax!!

Could not have said it better myself! Down with the Duradrip! haha
Old 11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't sweat it

It does not matter if it is Ford Chevy or Dodge it's mechanical and man made things are bound to happen. Thats why we get warranties with new vechicles. As far as the coolant leak I have seen it on another 6.0 it was the EGR cooler leaking. I think it is an improvement they need to do. We currently have three 6.0's two F-350's and one F-550 superduties and we have had minor things like that leak happen but we are still extremely happy with all three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.