95 powerstroke starter NOT engaging - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 powerstroke starter NOT engaging

I have a 95 F350 powerstroke that will not start.I was cranking it today and after about 5 seconds it just stopped ( almost sounded like it seized up ).I had the batts tested and they are at 100%.Took off the NEW starter and had it tested at 2 different auto parts stores and they both said it was working perfect.I also tried jumping the starter solenoid and the starter just clicks.I cranked over the engine by had with a large breaking bar and it turned over fine.I noticed that the GPR is clicking and getting hot ,could that be preventing the starter from working ??.Also it is saying that there is water in the fuel could that be the problem ?? I'm a newby to powerstrokes and could REALLY use some help here.

Alan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

ill bet your battery cables are loose or there is a poor connection. Clean and reinstall them and check it then.....

If this doesnt fix it, we will start looking at corrosion or poor wiring connections...
Old 09-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have taken off the cables and cleaned and cleaned them several times.I checked were they go to the block ( neg side ) and the are greasy but fine ( I cleaned off the grease )Could the starter selenoid be bad ?? I jumped arcross the terimanels and it did the same thing.Is there anyway of going directly to the starter with power ???.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

if the starter is "clicking" the relay isnt bad....do you know how to check the resistance of a wire??
Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I don't.The positive leads is getting worn out from being taken off so many times.Is it a ford only part ??.It is a cross over wire and it has 2 wires comming out and going to the rest of the truck.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

go to sears and buy a cheap DVOM (digital volt ohm meter, or multi meter)...will probably cost about 30 bucks.....when you have it i will go into further depth....
Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just REALLY cleaned the batt terminals and cable ends with a cleaning tool and the sprayed it all down with batt cleaner and I also replaced all the cable clamp bolts so now I know that they are making the best possible connection.Can a batt cable go bad internaly ??.I'm afraid that something went haywire inside the motor..
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Yes, it's possible the cable corroded from the inside. What clicks when you hit the key, the relay on the fender or the solenoid on the starter?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Both,I can jump the relay but I still get the same clicking on the starter.I just did a load test on the batts and both tested good but just barely.I had the starter test and it tested good ( it was only 6 mos old).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.