Noise, not the good kind. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bfast54
Noise, not the good kind.

Greetings.......................I LOVE a good diesel sounding truck, I recently switched over from a gen 2 Cummins, you know the Dumptruck diesel sound, pure Diesel noise, smoke....what a TRUE diesel freak loves..................

Well..here is my "Issue"................I have aquired a 2000 7.3, with the six -speed manual tranny, and I have a lot of "Noise " coming thru the shifter boot area....................YES, I did check to see if the boot was secured to the floor................WHICH, it was NOT................I cured this problem, with a few screws, in the right place....it had a "New tranny, and clutch " 3 years ago the owner said, and they had been living with a TON of racket..with the boot not secured....(first thing I looked at ), when I left on the test drive.....it was so loud it drowned out the stereo. No tears, etc in the boot..............just sound coming thru the "Hole in the floor"

So, I had a stick 4-wheeler with the 300-inline 6, and granny tranny..... a LONG time ago, and it had a Big Foam Donut , on the top of tranny, to cushion the space, quiet it down .

I don't really want to put this type of thing in there, unless it had , will fit one in , due to the high heat levels of the exhaust....................(Dont really want a burning/cooking foam piece, under the shifter boot)...................

Any ideas.....................

Don't get me wrong.......I loved the sound, of the turbo whining when I descended a hill , pulling my 5er, and used the tranny, exhaust as a "Brake"...and like I said, love the sound of a good diesel....................just not at my feet............

What can I do here ....I can live with it, just not the Good diesel sound I love.....................is this the normal sound , with a 7.3 and stick?????.......................Thanks all .................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe exhaust is rubbing on something? Rattling?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I did not make myself clear enough................it is not a Mechanical noise, I.E..............Rattle, banging, clunking,rubbing, grinding, scrapeing.........................etc............. ...type of noise.

Simpley Noise, coming thru the boot area, hole in floor area.

More insulation in area of shifter boot, to absorb, ???? .

Sound insulating sticky backed will not work....noise is Specifically coming in from "Hole" area...........
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Oh, you just have noisey noise coming in. Road noise, mechanical noise, just noise.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep................Anoying noise.....................
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just wondering if I can do anything, or if it is just that way.....maybe some one with a stick , can comment...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 AM

So...you secured the boot back to the floor and you still have in-cab noise that is unbearable? You have something else wrong. Even with the boot only sort of in place you won't have that much noise if everything is ok.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's not the Unbearable noise, ( like with the boot loose.)...............but , way more noise, than my 12valve Cummins' had, but, of course the Cummins' .......had a automatic..No hole in the floor.

Just seems loud, but, having never driven a stick' powerstroke, nothing to compare the Powerstroke noise to ...............

But, the powerstroke, is WAY quiter than my 12-valve Cummins', so, one would expect less interior noise.......

I would guess 1/4 to 1/2 more noise, than the cummins'...if you understand............./.................follow where I am going with this.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 PM

Maybe you have an exhaust leak? My old downpipe had a huge hole in it which caused a substantial amount of noise.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 AM

My 01 does not have excessive road noise or any other noisy-noise coming from there. And it most definitely does not drown the stereo even climbing or descending hills while towing.

I will have to check on mine, but is the boot a 2-layer design? I have had cars that were that way - the first layer being noise/grime insulation on the bottom and the second layer was decorative for inside the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.