New to the Ford Diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the Ford Diesel

My questions may be redundant to prior members, but Iím new to the Ford Diesels and Iím needing just a bit of assistance.

My last truck was a 2000 Ram2500 4x4 Cummins and I sold it because I needed to get out of debt, but itís time to look for another. Based on my budget, Iíll be looking at 1994/95 and may be up to 97ís F250s, but that would be trucks in the 200k plus range. Under 200k sounds better, but cash is the issue. If I go back to Dodge Iíll look 1996 12V to 98.5 24V. There weíre things I didnít like about the Dodge, but that was small stuff and not itís overall operation. I really screwed up selling it, but thatís spilled milk at this point.

As for the Fords, when did they switch to the PSD? I thought it was 94, but Iíve found a 94 and a 95 that both just said Turbo and not PSD. Were the early years good motors or is it better to look to the 96/97ís? Again due to funds Iíd be looking at 200k plus in the 97ís. Have had the Ram and knowing that normal runtime is 600-700k; 200k isnít bad if the owner is original (or owned for most of the miles) and has records and kept it up (fresh juice and filter at least every 4-5k if working it).

Iíll be replacing a 92 G20 gas van thatís my daily driver and Iíll need this as the same and for grove work and such.

Howís mpg unloaded in the 94-97ís. In my Cummins unloaded Iíd get 18/20, loaded with a Lance Camper I was pulling 16 at best on the highway with AT and GearVender Over/under system.

Thanks for all the help with any luck Iíll have enough cash to start shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 03:59 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Ford started using the PSD in mid 1994, and they have the a "turbo diesel" badge on the fender, what you need to look at is the engine code (8th digit of vin), vin F is the code for the direct injection turbo motor (powerstroke)

MPG's will really depend on gears and driving style, One thing to remember is the PSD's get the best fuel miliage at 2000 RPM or lower so I would be looking for one with some "tall" gears in the diff.

Hope this helps some, oh yeah.....WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a 97 with 318000 miles and it ran great when I sold it. The minor issues I had were valve cover gaskets and u-joints. U-joints were my fault. I think I tweaked the drive shaft when I broke the yoke off the rear end. I would recommend the 5 speed over the automatic trans just because of the E40D trans being so dnag expensive! Clutches are definately cheaper. I wish I could get my 97 back sometimes the body style is hard to beat and the truck was simply perfect! I definately think the 97 is an excelent buy!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. Iím leaning towards the 5sp seems like less to deal with and having the choice of gears will be an advantage in desert sand and such. The VIN info is a major help. Just checked the ad for the 94 and it didnít have the VIN code.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.