Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to the Ford Diesel

804 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dingoe 
#1 ·
My questions may be redundant to prior members, but I’m new to the Ford Diesels and I’m needing just a bit of assistance.

My last truck was a 2000 Ram2500 4x4 Cummins and I sold it because I needed to get out of debt, but it’s time to look for another. Based on my budget, I’ll be looking at 1994/95 and may be up to 97’s F250s, but that would be trucks in the 200k plus range. Under 200k sounds better, but cash is the issue. If I go back to Dodge I’ll look 1996 12V to 98.5 24V. There we’re things I didn’t like about the Dodge, but that was small stuff and not it’s overall operation. I really screwed up selling it, but that’s spilled milk at this point.

As for the Fords, when did they switch to the PSD? I thought it was 94, but I’ve found a 94 and a 95 that both just said Turbo and not PSD. Were the early years good motors or is it better to look to the 96/97’s? Again due to funds I’d be looking at 200k plus in the 97’s. Have had the Ram and knowing that normal runtime is 600-700k; 200k isn’t bad if the owner is original (or owned for most of the miles) and has records and kept it up (fresh juice and filter at least every 4-5k if working it).

I’ll be replacing a 92 G20 gas van that’s my daily driver and I’ll need this as the same and for grove work and such.

How’s mpg unloaded in the 94-97’s. In my Cummins unloaded I’d get 18/20, loaded with a Lance Camper I was pulling 16 at best on the highway with AT and GearVender Over/under system.

Thanks for all the help with any luck I’ll have enough cash to start shopping.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ford started using the PSD in mid 1994, and they have the a "turbo diesel" badge on the fender, what you need to look at is the engine code (8th digit of vin), vin F is the code for the direct injection turbo motor (powerstroke)

MPG's will really depend on gears and driving style, One thing to remember is the PSD's get the best fuel miliage at 2000 RPM or lower so I would be looking for one with some "tall" gears in the diff.

Hope this helps some, oh yeah.....WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

#3 ·
I had a 97 with 318000 miles and it ran great when I sold it. The minor issues I had were valve cover gaskets and u-joints. U-joints were my fault. I think I tweaked the drive shaft when I broke the yoke off the rear end. I would recommend the 5 speed over the automatic trans just because of the E40D trans being so dnag expensive! Clutches are definately cheaper. I wish I could get my 97 back sometimes the body style is hard to beat and the truck was simply perfect! I definately think the 97 is an excelent buy!

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I’m leaning towards the 5sp seems like less to deal with and having the choice of gears will be an advantage in desert sand and such. The VIN info is a major help. Just checked the ad for the 94 and it didn’t have the VIN code.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.