Looking to buy a new truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy a new truck

My wife has finally given me the green light to purchase a truck in the near future and I've been trolling around here and many other sites for a couple years and done a lot of reading and done a lot of research but cannot make a decision.

I would LOVE to do a fummins conversion, it seems to be the most ideal vehicle.
I have driven a few trucks, my uncle has a mostly stock early 99 powerstroke and also has a 05 powerstroke dually that has been studded and a few basic mods.

Last year i drove the 05 from Michigan to Sturgis, SD and i was really impressed with the towing capability and I love the body style and the looks of the interior. I was not impressed with the mileage we got and the dual rear wheel is not appealing to me.

I have driven the 7.3 and it is completely stock except air filter. It feels like a dog and i know it has extremely good reliability and longevity, but i think it's just because it's stock.

I havent driven any newer cummins trucks, but an old friend has a 92 12v that is highly modified, but not exactly sure of the mods, although i could find out. He is a graduate of WyoTech and that truck was pretty peppy.

I'm not crazy about the looks or interior of the dodge, and I've ridden in a bunch of duramaxes and they don't really tickle my fancy. Although i do like the Allison transmission, again because of their reliability.

There is a few things that I do know i like and have to have.
1) Crew Cab truck, long or short bed does not matter
2) I love the better turning radius of the 05+ Powerstroke, so much easier to turn and i like the wheel style.
3) I want reliability and longevity, I plan to drive this truck for 10 years so I want to make sure that it is built and upkept properly.
4) I like the simplicity of the 12v and it's dependability.

I live in Michigan and I know people that have to leave their trucks plugged in all the time and I don't want to have to depend on having it plugged in in order for it to start on cold days.

I am open to input and feedback as I see lots of conversions already done and I want to know more about advantages and disadvantages of the motors.

Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I copied and pasted that from another forum I joined and I had absolutely no feedback, so here i am again, should have never thought about posting elsewhere. Lessons learned

I have some more input on my original post,
I am wondering on the Ford end of the conversion, I really like the better turning radius but is there anything lost with the newer suspension setup? Also is it 05+ or just a certain range of years. I've seen some 08 gasoline trucks for under 10 grand and seriously contemplated buying one for the conversion, but not sure...

Also I really think that i want to set up a Ford chassis with a 12v cummins and a 6 speed allison behind it.

The only thing i don't know about is a 24v that is P pumped, would that have all of the computer stuff or if it would be mostly mechanical?

I know it's a powerstroke forum, but i know there are lots of knowledgeable people here
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJames View Post
I would LOVE to do a fummins conversion, it seems to be the most ideal vehicle.
There is a pretty good amount of work involved to do this swap RIGHT. It doesn;t take much to do the swap, but to get the truck to work like it should (cruise control, gauges, etc, etc) it takes a considerable amount of time on this end.

Last year i drove the 05 from Michigan to Sturgis, SD and i was really impressed with the towing capability and I love the body style and the looks of the interior. I was not impressed with the mileage we got and the dual rear wheel is not appealing to me.
I had a crew cab short bed 4x4 6.0 on 35s and tuned I was able to get 15-20mpg depending on where I was driving (city/highway) and how I was driving

I'm not crazy about the looks or interior of the dodge, and I've ridden in a bunch of duramaxes and they don't really tickle my fancy. Although i do like the Allison transmission, again because of their reliability.

I went from an 05 250 to an 01 Dodge and I kept the truck less than one year, truck was a beast but I couldn;t fall in love with the truck and the chassis was crap. As far as the Allison trans, they are great transmissions in stock applications, if you have any intention of tuning and modding the truck, even a little, I wouldn;t have the allison. I'd take the torqshift found in the 03 6.0 and newer trucks hands down any day

There is a few things that I do know i like and have to have.
3) I want reliability and longevity, I plan to drive this truck for 10 years so I want to make sure that it is built and upkept properly.
Any diesel can easily last 10 years, for the most part. It comes down to the owner, how is the truck driven, how is the truck maintained, is the truck just well cared for? However, no matter what brand, there are bad ones in every bunch

4) I like the simplicity of the 12v and it's dependability.

I live in Michigan and I know people that have to leave their trucks plugged in all the time and I don't want to have to depend on having it plugged in in order for it to start on cold days.
If the truck is properly maintained and serviced, and make sure your glow plug system stays healthy, plugging in isn;t needed until VERY low temps, and even then it won;t be NEEDED, just helpful on the truck.

I am open to input and feedback as I see lots of conversions already done and I want to know more about advantages and disadvantages of the motors.

I have some more input on my original post,
I am wondering on the Ford end of the conversion, I really like the better turning radius but is there anything lost with the newer suspension setup? Also is it 05+ or just a certain range of years. I've seen some 08 gasoline trucks for under 10 grand and seriously contemplated buying one for the conversion, but not sure...
Yes, the smaller turn radius is on all truck 2005 and newer, also, the coil spring front end rides a little better and is much cheaper to lift/run bigger tires if you want

Also I really think that i want to set up a Ford chassis with a 12v cummins and a 6 speed allison behind it.

The only thing i don't know about is a 24v that is P pumped, would that have all of the computer stuff or if it would be mostly mechanical?
If you P-Pump the 24v, you don;t need as much of the computer stuff as the fueling is handled mechanically, but yes, you will still need the computers

I know it's a powerstroke forum, but i know there are lots of knowledgeable people here
Everything I have said above is simply my opinion and not to be taken as
the end all be all.

Having said that, I would recommend for you an 05-07 6.0 liter truck. You get the tighter turning and coil spring suspension, fairly updated interior, lots of available options (brake controller being the best that comes to mind), somewhat quieter ride (6.0 is the 2nd best sounding diesel out there when straight piped, next to a 7.3 IMHO), and a great overall package. Again, the torqshift transmissions in these trucks is top notch (I feel they are way better than the Allison) A Ford truck is a heavier truck overall and can typically tow more than a comparable chevy or dodge.

On the 12V Fummins swap, like I said above, there is alot of little details to get the engine and chassis to work together like factory. Guys have spent almost as much in the little details as they did for the overall swap. Plus, the 12v is a LOUD s.o.b. and adjusting power is a little more time consuming than with the newer engines.

Oh yeah,
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your feedback, I want to build a reliable setup and it will be mostly DD with a little towing in the summer, Hay, Boat, Atv's, and a backhoe/bulldozer once in a great while. Mostly light towing with an occasional heavy load, but i want to build a setup for Decent fuel mileage but i want it to $h!t and get when I push that pedal to the floor. I'm not one of those guys that all they want to do is roll coal. I prefer clean power, but the occasional smoke cloud does not bother me.
I'm thinking obvious things like:
Exhaust, 3k/4k GSK, Fuel Plate (Not sure what cuts are what), 60 lb valve springs, bigger injectors 140 hp?, run studs (I like to prepare), maybe o ring or fire ring, and i would really like to run twin turbos. I like the idea of VGT, but i hear good and bad things. I have ridden in another truck that had one HUGE turbo, but didnt make power until 2000+ rpm

any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.