Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

newbie Question

986 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  shewoolf 
#1 ·
So when I stop at a light, and have to wait I tend to smell the exhaust in the cab. Is this normal or is their a leak or something somewhere. I don't notice it in the am when I am letting her warm up.

TIA
Doris

#2 ·
:ORG welcome:first off a diesel is kinda easy to find a leak look for a black spot on the exhaust I would say if you are sure its the exhaust smell then yes you have a leak.. also if the wind is blowing right and your fan or heater is on or window rolled down then the smell would come in..

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! The heater is usually on, but the windows are up. To chilly for them to be down LOL I know in our 150 that we could smell every other car on the road! UGGGGG. but this is diffrent, it happens only when at an idle. and most times when no one else is around.

I will look for a black spot, and I guess I could play with turning the heater off before I stop see if it makes a difference just to figure out whats up.

#4 ·
:thumb:sounds good I would try that first b4 taking it in and getting checked... good luck hope it works out for you

#6 ·
I would check around the turbo, the turbo up pipes for the leak. The Down pipe connection at the turbo because, those are the closest to the cab. Also check the manifolds to make sure they are tight and the gaskets are not leaking.

#9 ·
I had the same problem with a 03 7.3 and it was the down pipe for the turbo leaking. And its wasn't enough to make alot of noise but after looking at it you could see the back around the pipe where it was leaking just like BigCountry Said.:thumb:

#12 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

We popped the hood and poked around and can't find anything loose of off.

But now my husband is noticing it so I'm not NUTS :woot:

This weekend he is going to tighten all clamps and such, if that doesn't fix it we will have to take it in.

Thanks again!

#13 ·
I'm with Scott. If it seems to be coming from the heating vents, I'd check the manifolds, up pipes, the connections around the turbo, and the downpipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.