Trans problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans problem

OK, so on my 94 F350 powerstroke diesel i bought it about 1 month ago. about 2 weeks before i bought it the guy before me put a new LUK clutch and flywheel in it. BUT the trans has trouble going in reverse and 2nd gear (griding, probaly synchros).

Sooo i was driving home from work. Waiting for a red light in a sea of cars and the light goes green. So me and the croud slowly accelrates. I shift 1st, 2nd then 3rd and when i go to give some gas in 3rd VERROOM engine REVS, i thought i missed 3rd (i didnt) so i went it into 3rd again and VERROM, and im not moving under engine power. I pull over, Now i can put the truck into all of the gears (some times not second because it grinds when i tryed) with the truck running with out using the clutch. But when i press the clutch petal i can still hear the engine being loaded down by the weight of the clutch being engaged (same sound as when it would shift)

Any ideas? Its a ZF5 manual trans. I think its time for a rebuild? theres only 80,000kms. Right before it happened i was hearing a whinning noise and it annoyning and would go away when the truck was moving but in N. I was pritty much babying the trans when something happened and im suprised it broke there and not when im booting it. HMM

I thought ZF5s were alot stronger. My other truck has the M5OD and I give it a work out and yet it shifts fine. Are parts pricy for zf5 rebuilds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 AM

I am going to remove the trans. Any advise on doing so?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Probobly going to be pricey for a rebuild. Might be worth looking for one out of a junk yard, or at least price them both out and go from there. Check this site out for used trans. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

only one way to find out what wrong is just jerk it out and take a lok, those trans are easy to pull, does sound like something broke
Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 AM

I wont be taking the trans to a shop but to my buddys engine builder. Hes about 65 and can pritty much do anything. It would just be parts and few hundred for labour
Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Those are the kinda deals to find
Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Well i was JUST about to start taking the trans out. I was looking where to start and what i would need ect. Then i thought, ill put in 4x4 to make sure its the trans not the rear axle. I put it in 4x4 locked the hubs and sure enough it moved!!!

So i guess the rear axle gave out on me
Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 PM

found out what it was. The bolts the connect the hub to the axle (full floater rear) all of them broke off! leaving the bolt threaded in the holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.