Fuel Filter change on the 6.0 - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Think my filters are causing problem

Another newbie (new to diesel and this site), with a 2003 6.0 F350. Love the truck but just started having a problem. I can drive it a while, but eventually pressing the fuel pedal will not deliver fuel to engine. I'm thinking clogged fuel filters, and planning to use the instructions here to replace mine. Does this problem sound familliar to anyone? Should I be looking for a different cause, or does this sound right? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph2jcg View Post
Another newbie (new to diesel and this site), with a 2003 6.0 F350. Love the truck but just started having a problem. I can drive it a while, but eventually pressing the fuel pedal will not deliver fuel to engine. I'm thinking clogged fuel filters, and planning to use the instructions here to replace mine. Does this problem sound familliar to anyone? Should I be looking for a different cause, or does this sound right? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
I would definately change the filters so you know that isnt it, It could be a bad fuel pump. The filters are cheap and easy to change. The filters are about 50$ and you can do it in 15 minutes.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterJ View Post
I would definately change the filters so you know that isnt it, It could be a bad fuel pump. The filters are cheap and easy to change. The filters are about 50$ and you can do it in 15 minutes.
Replaced the filters a few days ago, but that did not fix the problem. Ford dealer diagnostic says I need to replace the # 2, 4, 6, & 8 fuel injectors (part# 3C3Z-9E527-EBRM for $330 each), a Tube-Fuel SU (part# 3C3Z-9A332-AA for $80), & a Regulator-FU (part# 3C3Z-9C968-AA for $355). There is also a charge for the labor to replace a Stand Pipe, but that's missing from my list of parts so there is no part number. Does anyone know what the Stand Pipe is?

I had one mechanic tell me that if the regulator needs to be replaced, it is possible that the injectors might be fine themselves. According to him, the faulty regulator likely told the diagnostics computer that the injectors were bad. It looks like I'm going to need a good mechanic in the Seattle area, that's willing to work with me on the price. For the price the dealership gives me, the truck will simply have to stay parked for a very long time instead. I know the old adage that "you get what you pay for" is all too true, but at the same time I have to keep a roof over my families head and food in their mouths. If I have to sacrifice somewhere it will be the truck that gets sacrificed, not my family. I can survive without the truck for a while. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Last edited by ph2jcg; 04-08-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: 1st paragraph was omitted in previous post, added prices in 2nd edit
Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 PM

I haven't changed my fuel filters on my '07 yet because I only have 10,000 miles on the truck, but I do plan on doing it soon. after reading all the posts on this thread and reading my book I have a few simple questions.

1. when I take the water seperator plug out will the fuel stop running once the filter housing is drained or will it continue to run from the fuel tank?

2. what size socket do I need for the filter along the frame 35mm or 36mm? I've seen both listed on this thread

thanks for the help
Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdskidoo View Post
I haven't changed my fuel filters on my '07 yet because I only have 10,000 miles on the truck, but I do plan on doing it soon. after reading all the posts on this thread and reading my book I have a few simple questions.

1. when I take the water seperator plug out will the fuel stop running once the filter housing is drained or will it continue to run from the fuel tank?

2. what size socket do I need for the filter along the frame 35mm or 36mm? I've seen both listed on this thread

thanks for the help
When the bowl is empty on the water seperator the fuel flow will stop.

35 or 36mm will work.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
When the bowl is empty on the water seperator the fuel flow will stop.

35 or 36mm will work.
What?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
What?
I dont have a 35mm socket but I do have a 36mm and it works just fine
Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 AM

has anyone used a standard socket size rather than the 35 or 36mm. I'm thinking maybe a 1 3/8" might work. any thoughts?
4/13/09 update: weel I saved myself from buying a 35 or 36mm socket for now. went to Sears with the intention of buying one, but saw they had their 3/4" drive set on sale so I bought this with hopes that one of the standard size sockets in the set would work and since I've been wanting one of these sets anyway I thought maybe I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I was right, the 1 3/8" socket fits the nut perfectly, but getting the 3/4" drive ratchet up in there is another story. not sure how it's gonna go when the time comes to change this filter, but I'm gonna try it with the 3/4" drive.. I may end up buying a 1/2" drive socket anyway

Last edited by kdskidoo; 04-13-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM

does anyone know were you can get the top fuel filter cap, i broke mine and cant replace filters till i get a new cap.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYStrokin View Post
does anyone know were you can get the top fuel filter cap, i broke mine and cant replace filters till i get a new cap.
The dealer, they aren't too badly priced. There are also some billet ones around, but they are like 75+, a little too pricey for me. Sorry, but I can't recall the vendor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.