Cat engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Infidel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cat engine

After reading this post:john deere?

I was wondering if Cat had an engine that would fit in our trucks or would they have to completely redesign something that would work? I can believe the part about John Deere not doing it because of emissions, not too mention apparently getting japanese engines (I'll hold off on that rant). But Cat already has engines in on road big rigs right? So they have a handle on the emission aspect already....yes / no?

What is it about a Cat engine that some of y'all like so much? I have spent the last couple years learning about powerstrokes (or trying to) and have not given much attention to other diesel engines.

Look forward to reading y'alls opinions.
Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Well in the semi's CAT is a premium engine. They have tons of power and for the most part are very reliable. I personally run one of cats smallest diesels in my freightliner. Its called a C7, which is a 7.2 litre i-6. Mine runs at 300hp and around 860 tq. Pulls around 50k just fine. The only problem is the engine might fit into a pickup, but its probably to heavy for the axles. Cat has not shown much interest in the small diesel world. They thrive on big bore type engines. I personally would love it if they did make one specially for a pickup.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A lot of people swap a 3408 CAT into 70's ford trucks. It's a small V8 diesel with optional turbo I believe
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree, if CAT made a truck sized engine I would be all over it. In semis, you basically have your choice of cummins, detroit diesel, and CAT. With CAt being the most respected.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM

I have been doing some research on the Cat C7, I really would like to have one in a pickup. The new C7's with the emissions stuff wieghs 1425lbs., the ones that did'nt have it wieghed 1295lbs. , I found this info. on the Cat website. I don't know what the 7.3 wieghed, but I think it was well over 1000lbs., I am sure an F550 could probably handle the wieght, I don't know about the smaller trucks. All I know is I want one!!!!! They pull great, and get good fuel economy doing it. I need to get some dementions to see if they would even fit!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 PM

im just dumb when it comes to diesels...i dont have any preferences but PSD!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
A lot of people swap a 3408 CAT into 70's ford trucks. It's a small V8 diesel with optional turbo I believe
Did you mean the 3208? That was the smaller V8 with the turbo option. The 3408 was the big over the road engine. My C7 gets around 6.5mpg, but thats in a tandem axle straight truck with a 6spd allison auto. Loaded both ways. I'm licensed to carry 57,000 lbs. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
I knew a guy with one of these in an L9000 Ford, it was super gutless! He wanted to re-build it and they told him it was a throw away motor that was not meant to be rebuilt, I have a hard time believing that. Probably a pretty good engine!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DOOOOHHHHH!!!! Yeah, you're right, the 3208, the 3408 is a big M.F. on the road and also used in a lot of heavy equipment.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokes only View Post
I knew a guy with one of these in an L9000 Ford, it was super gutless! He wanted to re-build it and they told him it was a throw away motor that was not meant to be rebuilt, I have a hard time believing that. Probably a pretty good engine!
Its hard to believe, but the 3208 was a throw away engine. They could be very gutless and smoked alot. Some people will take em out and replace em with a newer inline model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.