Hot Weather: No leak...Cold Weather: leak! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to landofconfusion
Hot Weather: No leak...Cold Weather: leak!

My Truck: 2003, F250, 6.0

I have had an interesting problem for the past week. Here in town (jackson,MS) we have had some ridiculous cold weather 15-25 degrees!!

= Anywase, I had my truck in the shop recently for a coolant leak, and they said it was fine. So tuesday thru friday i did not drive my truck and the weather got sooo cold and i noticed a slow coolant leak. Then the leak got larger and eventually let out enough (a gallon?) that i could not see any in the resevoir, soo i got really scared and friday i went and got some of the gold coolant and put that in 50/50 and started her and let her warm up for a good 20 minutes. No leak after that, then i got back home around friday night and let it sit over night with the tmep around 60, still pretty chilly. and it didn't leak a drop, or through today. I'm confused. any ideas? Cracked seal possibly? it drips right down between front of tranny beside i think the downpipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 05:00 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

there is a orange hose right below the turbo , it connects the egr cooler and oil cooler , that is probably what leaking , temperature can effect when and how they leak, if its dripping of the back side of the engine near the down tube thats your problem
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you so much. Can you give me instructions on how to access that??
Old 01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

if your truck is under 100k you should be able to get this covered under your engine warranty...

if not...you remove the turbo, drain tube, and pedestal....twist the hose so it will release (if you look at the horazontal edge where it connects to the oil cooler...it will be all round with two flat edges 90 degrees from each other...both flat edges need to be vertical)....and then VERY GENTLY bend the tube for the EGR cooler up till you can get the hose off and the new one on.....
Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

well first off make sure you verify thats what is leaking b ut im pretty sure that your problem, there is an updated hose because of this problem, the new hose should be blue , if you pull the intercooler tube that connects to the turbo you can see it good , ther are two 27 torx bit screws that hold down the housing pull those two screws and use two pry bars to wiggle that housing and it will pop up, then pull on that housing and the hose will come with it , twist the ornage hose and pull it off , replace it with the blue new hose and reinstall ,refill the coolant ,make sure you dont have any leaks
Old 01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

might want to try my way marc, takes 10 minutes , no turbo removal required
Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thank you fellas so much. Since it is under warrenty, how long should a job like that take? I can't get to school/work/girlfriend without truck if you know what i mean. Is the way Marc said for the same hose, or a differnt typical leak spot?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:11 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

same leak, just different way of doing it , but if its under warranty , i wouldnt care how its done, let them worry about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.