School me on this block heater thing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Gun Nut

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
School me on this block heater thing

So it's getting a bit cold down here in Texas - heck it was about 70 this mornin'.
My question is if you plug her in will she warm up any quicker? I always fire her up, back out and EASE down the road for a few miles, letting the temp rise up close to a normal operating temp......usuall being passed at high rates of speed by little kids on bikes, flipping me the bird for going so slow. :p
Would it get to a normal operating temp faster if it were plugged in overnight? It's not something I'd do in the summer obviously but if it takes miles for her to warm up at 70 degrees, I can only imagine when it's 30.
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Rod! You're considering 70 to be cold!?!? And pluggin up!?!? Wow...Well last year was my first winter with my diesel so here's what I found. I wasn't sure what temp to plug my truck in at so once it went below 40 I plugged in. The next morning I started my truck and the needle was about an 1/8 inch above the cold line on my gauge, and already blowing somewhat warm air. I figured I didn't need to waste the electricity just for that so I left it unplugged down to 30. It was a little cooler at start up but not much. I usually don't plug it in unless it's going to be around 25 or lower. It starts fine even in the teens without it but it runs a little choppy the first 30 seconds. So basically save the energy and wait til about 30 is what I do. Mine doesn't take too long to get warm.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Nah - I was just playin' Smoke.
I was curious about it helping warm the rig up faster. Just because she takes SO LONG now, that when it gets into the 30's around here would it help at all. How much electricity does this thing use?
Thanks for the response buddy!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I think there is a tremendous difference between being plugged in and not on a cold night. The starter even sounds as if it's not working extra hard to turn over a "cold" motor. As for how much electricity it uses, that I cannot say. I guess you could always call your electricity supplier after a week and see how much you used on days you did versus ones you didn't. I'm sure they could tell you...if not, I really don't know what to tell you then!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:00 AM

I have a timer switch on my heater so it comes on about 3 hrs before I get in and it starts and warms up much nicer we have had a couple of mornings at 32 this week so I pluged it in.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:50 AM

I'm gonna guess it's probably around a 500w heater so depending on how much you pay for electricity it could be up to $2 for a 12 hour period. It doesn't sound like much but that could add up quick. Yeah the timer sounds like a plan. I don't know what my dealer was thinking but my truck didn't come with a block heater so I'm gonna have to see how much that's gonna run me. Isn't it like a $40 option?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Conservative and Proud

I was wondering about the timer as well.... Glad to hear that someone has tried it. Going to try it out this next week.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 AM

Is this timer a factory option as well? Or is it an aftermarket deal I can get for mine?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 AM

I think it's a timer that you put on the 110v power recepticle. Just like the timers peolple use to turn lights on and off in the house when they aren't home. I was looking on the ford sight and I don't see an option for the heater. I'm guessing I have it and just didn't know. Where would I find the plug at on my rig?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you have the 6.0, you probably have the block heater, but in most 'warn' area, they don't have the power cords. If you do have the power cord, it should be behind the front bumper on the passenger side. I get to mine thru the cutout where the tow hook is on the passenger side.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.