a bit Worried... help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dantry
a bit Worried... help please

hey guys,

i may be just worried over nothin but i may have a problem on my hands. this is my first winter with a diesel and i just may not know whats happening. its really cold here near pittsburgh and its about 10 degrees outside right now and hasn't got above 20 since yesterday. is it at all possible for the tranny to act sluggish because of the cold, and at a higher speed like when you get on it goin down the high way??? i was on my way to work this afternoon and it acted sluggish at a high speed then it did it tonight on my way home, just worried that its something seriously wrong. and just dont want to get all worried and then find out its just because its cold outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned

trannies act very strange...and can be very sluggish/slow to engage in temps below 20 degrees....

when i drove home to montana last week for christmas i had the same symptoms in my girlfriends toyota camry we drove there......the tranny was VERY slow to engage and didnt seem right for the first fifteen minutes or so of driving..
Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it stay sluggish once the truck is warmed up? And how long do you let your truck warm up ?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Emergency Services

the truck warmed up for about 25 min before i left work. i didn't know if the tranny fluid was at all capable of gellin up at all. i mean it would shift all the way up but it was actin almost as if it didn't exactly want to hit that next gear or downshift that fast when passing. and it never did this before, just today when it became extremely cold
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
if i dont let the truck warm up enough or not very much at all its like trying to drive my truck through a brick wall..it just wont really go anywhere anytime fast. This is also my first winter with a diesel and I noticed that the cold weather makes the truck act a little different. Im just monitoring everything and trying to leave for places a few minutes earlier if I can.

-Evan

-Evan
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Emergency Services

so your kinda havin the same issue with yours then huh? cuz i mean right off the start and goin through the gears its runnin perfectly fine, its just on the highway when i'm goin to make a pass or even go around cars up a hill when i have to get on it a lil it seems to not really want to go as good as i'm use to it. i just dont want to have something go wrong with the tranny
Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
what other mods you got done to your truck? I mean my truck is like sluggish when im first trying to get her moving, almost like it sounds like my truck is about to stall like its a stick and im about to stall it. But once I get going and I hit say the highway or whatever the truck is getting warmed up. But if your truck is pretty well warmed up and its still doing it then you may have a different prob. what year is it and what mods does it have?

-Evan
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Bamfster
Keep in mind that letting a vehicle warm up by sitting and idling will not warm the trans that much if any. Its best to just let the engine run for a few to get the fluids moving and build some heat and then drive it easy for the first few miles.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yeah mine is the same when its cold. Almost like your trying to move a tank. When the fluid isn't warmed up yet the shift points seem to be at higher rpms as well.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM

From past experience the 2 biggest killers of automatic trannies are high heat in the summer and really cold in the winter. As long as the shifting seems to get normal after you have driven for 15 to 20 minutes you should be okay. If it still shifts weird then you may want to have it checked out by the dealer. You my 2 cents worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.