Help me decide... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me decide...

Yes, I know it's my first post. I have been searching but I did not really see the exact answer I was looking for, so I would like your unbiased opinion...

I'm about to get a diesel truck in the $20-22k range. I have looked at all 3 (ford, chevy, dodge) and I can't really decide, so I was hoping some of you might be able to provide a response and reason as to your response.

I've read through a lot of threads, like these:
What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

switching from cummins to powerstroke maybe.....help!!!

PSD vs D-MAX vs Cummins

I'm looking for conversation with my particular situation: I drive about 2500-3000 miles a month. I will pull my 20' trailer about once a month but it doesn't weigh that much (maybe 4k lbs). The only mods I would do would be exhaust, chip/programmer, air intake, anything else around $250.

My thoughts are pretty much in line with a lot of others:
Dodge - best motor, bad tranny, cost more to buy (vs. others of same year, mileage, etc)
Chevy - good motor, good tranny
Ford - best looks, good tranny, some motor issues, more truck for $$

I know I'm looking at getting something that is 2-4 years old with 80-120k miles on it. I feel like I can get a better deal with a Ford or Chevy, but the Dodge will probably last longer. I will not have the $$ to spend on repairs, so I need something very reliable. (yes, I understand I'm taking a risk because it's a used truck and does not have a warranty most likely.)

If you read through all of that, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you decide to get a 99-early 03 with the 7.3's are very reliable engines. Many people have over 300,000 miles on them with out any problem. The 6.0s are good motors and Torqshift tranny is excellent. Some people have had problems with the 03 and 04 6.0s but my 04 runs like a champ and never had one problem.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
i think you will be really happy with a powerstroke! only motor problems i have had is the cps and thats like a 26 dollar part so its not a big deal! and yes ford does have the sweetest looking ride!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

First off let me start off by saying i have never owned a dodge Diesel, i have owned several dodges, and everyone i feel has let me down(if i got a lemon or not, but the luck of getting 4 lemons isn't very good). GM, I honestly had a very hard time deciding between them and ford, I think both are very able to build solid trucks, I like the GMs alot, but i couldn't find one in the body style i wanted for the price. Ford, me and my family have owned over 10, everyone i feel has giving me my moneys worth. We have 2 7.3 at work with over 400,000 on them, i dont care which brand you like, you can argue with that. But with you driving 2500 miles a week, fuel can get to become a big factor.......Cummins is going to be your best bet there, but I have also seen alot of 7.3 getting over 20 a gallon. For the needs you stated I have to say all three will probably give you about the same expectancy. I would say test drive all three that fall into your price range and just get the one that has the most options you want for the money, you can execpt any Auto tranny to go when you add over 100 hp its just a matter of time. And as far as Dodge having the best motor, it would just depend on what you would consider the best motor, Ford had an amazing one with the 7.3
Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holleywood View Post
But with you driving 2500 miles a week, fuel can get to become a big factor

And as far as Dodge having the best motor, it would just depend on what you would consider the best motor, Ford had an amazing one with the 7.3

2500/month and I get mileage reimbursement from work

You're right I guess I can argue with myself into getting the one I like best. Knowing me, I will pick the best lookin one...
Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

I was looking to spend about the same when i bought mine, and to get a cummins i either had to get one with huge amount of miles knowing that the tranny would go very soon, or i had to get an older year and the ride quality wasn't up to par. For some reason GMs around me are very rare, i coudln't even find one in the price range within 50 miles from me. Then i found an 05 with 110 on it for 19.5k drove it, felt great. Good luck and make sure you come back to the site after you buy, even if you dont buy a blue oval
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think that the 7.3 Powerstroke is and was the best engine between power and reliability. But if you are going newer I would choose a Cummins 24v 5.9l, If you are choosing brand new I still like the new cummins out of the big 3. Im a die hard Ford fan but that cummins is a nice engine if you are going newer. When I hit the lottery ima buy a 06 F350 King Ranch and drop a 5.9l in her.

For Fuel usage im not sure but im getting 25 MPG on the highway at 80 MPH
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holleywood View Post
I was looking to spend about the same when i bought mine, and to get a cummins i either had to get one with huge amount of miles knowing that the tranny would go very soon, or i had to get an older year and the ride quality wasn't up to par. For some reason GMs around me are very rare, i coudln't even find one in the price range within 50 miles from me. Then i found an 05 with 110 on it for 19.5k drove it, felt great. Good luck and make sure you come back to the site after you buy, even if you dont buy a blue oval
I'm having kinda the same issue. I'm not in a hurry, so at least I have a few weeks to look around and get the best deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.